Closing the rubbish chutes

Moderator: moderator

Closing the rubbish chutes

Postby oldie » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 am

The minutes of our March meeting reported the chutes would be blocked off , yet no such advice / discussion took place during the meeting.
I complained, coz I don't want the facility removed and can see problems if this is put into effect . I can't remember ANYONE suggesting / asking for these chutes to be blocked off, so this should be discussed during our upcoming meeting. Leaving these alone might be one of the ways of reducing the creeping increases in costs of recladding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
oldie

Re: Closing the rubbish chutes

Postby Waltonwatcher » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:45 pm

3 reasons. Fire risk, noisy and out dated. Remember these buildings were built in the 60's before recycled waste came in.

They need to go.
Waltonwatcher
Veteran Contributor Level 1

Postby oldie » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Will you be the person whom will pick up the rubbish spilt in the elevator , or left in convenient bags on the landings --in fact anywhere one doesn't have to stand the smell.
Come and have a look at the orderly bins and bags at the foot of the chutes. It would take a deliberate act to set it off and in a small contained area would be quickly controlled. Oh and while you're at it look at the recycling bins in the car parks and multiply that by three or four: that's what you're going to look forward to with all the attendant rodent population in attendance. PS. If you want to check fire risk, why not touch a cigarette end to the anti pigeon netting . It's like the blue touchpaper.

oldie

Postby Waltonwatcher » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:26 pm

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- ... es-8924280

This will give you some idea of the sort of issues that could happen. Remember these chutes are many, many years old now. In all honestly not really fit for purpose in my opinion. This is one of the many reasons this cladding project needs to happen.

There is a stark difference to convenience and the safety of residents. They are being closed off for very good reasons.
Waltonwatcher

Postby Waltonwatcher » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:37 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lo ... 25?SThisFB

"We can't have a situation where people's safety is put at risk because of bad advice being given or if it is the case, as has been alleged, of tower blocks not being properly serviced or maintained," he said.

This tragic fire shows the risk of fire to a high rise block of flats like Wellington Close. These flats above were built in the 70's. Wellington close in the 60's. Wellington close has very little protection from fires. There are no protective levels between floors to prevent fires from spreading. This is one of the things the cladding works will bring in. Whilst it's unclear how this tragic event unfolded it's a wake up call for Wellington Close residents.

These flats have to be bought up to a modern standard. Not just because of the cladding but also the aging nature of the structure.
Waltonwatcher

Postby oldie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:47 pm

These chutes are positioned on small balconies on each floor which are open to the elements .
Just six feet away on each chute balcony is a water riser with a fire hose fitting . This and a second balcony on the other side of the building on each floor , are fitted with fire doors to the landings, as also fire doors are fitted to the stairs and to the front door of each flat.
Were there to be a fire in the chute, the flame , smoke and fumes would disperse into the atmosphere ,not into the flats . Chutes can be noisy which is why their use is limited to 8am till 8pm.
I didn't intend to wax lyrical about our fire safety precautions , but in the light of today's high rise fire in Kensington and WW's opinion concerning rubbish chutes , I mean it to reassure our residents that we are equipped against fire risk to a fairly high standard .

oldie

Return to Wellington Close Residents Forum