Why are some people against letting the children enjoy

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Minime

Why are some people against letting the children enjoy

Post by Minime » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Having spoken to some people from GCS ect i have been informed that some residents on the 9th floor of B block have put a complaint about using the electric from the caretakers office to power a bouncy castle at the weekend...This was done for the children & try to make Wellington Close a nicer community where you can meet others from the close you might not of met/spoken to..I have had a lot of praise & have met a lot of nice people on Wellington Close & well as have had a person from a very well known Walton On Thames charity asking if i could help out with the charity as they only live opposite the close & have seen the lawn being used & think its great...To whom it may concern to power the blower for a day would cost no more then £20 of which i shall call GCS 1st thing on Monday & willing pay the money for the electric..Such a shame that the odd person just seems to want to fall out with the whole estate :( ..I do hope the caretaker keeps his job as this was not really his fault
Last edited by Minime on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Al D
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Re: Why are some people against letting the children enjoy

Post by Al D » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:39 am

Minime - no complaint was made against you and noone is trying to stop children enjoying themselves.

There were a number of issues with this bouncy castle however.

1. The caretaker revealed that a live extension lead was left dangling out of the communal letterbox for the entire weekend.

2. For any event like this notification and a request for permission must be given to GCS first. If a child had injured himself on the bouncy castle then the estate could have been sued. If GCS had known about it they could also have promoted it to all the children on the estate (there was no advertising of this so how were the children who live in, say, Block A, meant to know about it, even though their parents were paying for it?)

3. One elderly person said she nearly tripped over the cable - if GCS had known there could have been relevant signage put up.

4. Two people commented that they were not happy that the communal doors were left open and unsupervised all day - you've mentioned residents on the 9th floor.. this was where the vagrant who was rough sleeping on the estate last year stayed.

5. Nobody has any right to grant access to anyone to use the communal electricity supply without permission of the estate first - why should leaseholders pay for it without agreeing to it first?

I think it's great to have a communal bouncy castle for the reasons you've stated and I'm pleased everyone enjoyed themselves. But there are ways of doing it.
Minime

Post by Minime » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:27 pm

All the people on the estate with children was told about the bouncy castle on the estate before..We had paid for the castle & having asked someone on the electric board how much electric a single phase blower would cost for 12hrs,he stated no more then £5 of which we will take to GCS on Monday.As for people going up stairs.i removed the person last year & rang the police when he headed for A block..the front door has a button that allows anyone to enter for most of the day..Now i know its a problem we will not be doing much for the children of the estate as some people are just not happy with people getting on with there lives & having a good time..Shame really as a lot of the kids had a really good summer last year :( ..So i take it if we continue putting the pool up this will cause problems..I would like to know this rather then getting into trouble over it
abelard
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by abelard » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Last edited by abelard on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minime

Post by Minime » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:41 pm

It was no where near a bench or any other item i child could climb on...The company who rents the castles have insurance
Al D

Post by Al D » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:58 pm

Minime - if you're going to be using others' commodities (in this case water for a pool) then of course you should ask first.

I don't see why it would be a problem - GCS are bound to do what the Wellington Close directors instruct them to do and we have praised you in a meeting in the past for the way you get so many kids together on sunny days, so I'm sure we'd give approval to it.

In fact I reckon GCS would in fact support you - if, say you're having the pool on a Saturday, GCS could email everyone on the Friday, and put posters up, saying 'if you've got kids there's a free pool in the gardens this weekend'.

abelard - I dont know who said what to who about the bouncy castle and it's probably best if we leave it at that!
Minime

Post by Minime » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:34 am

Sorry for all the hassle the weekend with the castle has caused..I have given 1 of the directors the money for the electric used on that day..IF we do use the lawn again we shall go down the correct channels...Sorry again for any trouble this has caused
Minime

Post by Minime » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi can i ask the board of directors for Wellington Close.I understand what you have said but can not get permission from GCS as a director has told me that i am not to contact them..I had to go through them..Of which my wife asked if we could have the castle..We are stuck in a rut & a lot of children are upset on the site as the pool will not be going up again unless someone else wants to do it as all we have no matter what i do is hassle..Cant do right for doing wrong...I would of thought there was more issues with Wellington close,Un taxed cars,Dogs fowling every where..Nothing seems to be done about this..But as soon as i do something(Not even for my self) i get kicked in the teeth for doing it..I have had a meeting with a charity in Walton who i work closely with & they can not believe people are complaining about this.As one of them only lives in a house across the road looking at the lawns,came over introduced him self & stated how nice it was looking across the road & seeing all the youngsters enjoying them self.He has lived in the same house for nearly 50yrs & said he had never seen this kind of thing in the close...I am the one that paid £140 for the castle,£60 for BBQ hire £40 food,got up at 6am to set up for the children of the estate..Some parents have no car to get there kids to a beach ect..All i have done is try to bring the estate together like last year..I met lots of people from the other block i would of never met..So sad the will not happen again this year
Al D

Post by Al D » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Minime - I can certainly see that what you did stemmed from very good intentions and I cannot see why the bouncy castle cannot happen again next year - but it has to go through the official channels of GCS for the reasons outlined above (liability, electricity usage, signage, notification, promotion of the event etc).

You can contact GCS directly or you can do it through the director you spoke to, or the caretaker.
Minime

Post by Minime » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:55 pm

How about the pool would that need to go through the same channels..Also if i had my own power would this still be a problem..All i do on that lawn is for Wellington Close..i find it hard to send invites as people move in & out & am now unsure of what kids live where..But if you walk through the estate & see a pool/castle if your a child or an adult,please come & join in as is for the whole of the estate young or old,If we have a bbq come & grab a burger ect.
Al D

Post by Al D » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:25 pm

You should notify GCS re the pool as you're using their water (plus there's the issue of health and safety). One call or email to Gene is all that's needed.

Remember there are people in Block A and Block C who may never know that there's a pool there as the spur blocks block some views to the middle garden for some of the flats - GCS could notify them on your behalf and get more people to use the facility / have fun.
Minime

Post by Minime » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:06 pm

As you a saying about health & safety.There at all times is an adult at the pool when children are there..So if i set the pool up for my self as other residents are doing there will be no health & safety problems providing its only my son using it as it is a garden for the estate to share.If the other people in A & C block used the gardens they would know there is a pool here.All it takes,like the young asian family who live in A block is to come over & join in the fun.Get to know others..When i spoke to the young guy from GCS last year he said it was fine as long as it was emptied each night(Incase someone fell in whilst drunk) & that an adult was present when young children are present..Its good that we empty it each night as putting chlorine in it could kill the grass..for some reason of which i have an idea this is now a problem..As stated i have been advised not to call GCS.Also as i can not predict the weather if i wake in the morning & its sunny i set the pool up..Having to get permission each time could take up to 2 weeks to get an answer back..If this is going to be a problem i am thinking of getting rid of the pool.Having spoken to a number of residents on the estate today they have said that if i do they will buy there own paddling pools which will mean you will have 10-15 small pools dotted over the estate,also the residents i have spoke to today have got quite irate that i have been treated this way for doing something for others..There must be an easy solution to this with out me getting rid of the pool & residents who own the flats wanting to re jig the board every 2 years allowing fresh ideas..This is just the feed back i am getting from residents i have spoken to today
Tom James
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by Tom James » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:28 pm

WC is mainly made up of landlords / investors these days. The residents have always loved a good gossip but they don't make the decisions (they are not the ones on the land registry.)

If you want to use others stuff you ask permission first. Period. And always speak to the agent / Management company rather than individual residents and always try to get it in writing
debbiebiggs
New User
New User

Post by debbiebiggs » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:19 am

I have lived in Wellington close for over 10 years and the last couple of years have been the happiest for my family due to the fact that one resident has been good enough to provide facilities for which children can enjoy themselves. Due to small minded killjoys this has now been stopped. Surely there can be a middle ground so everyone is happy! Why can we not display a poster in each block stating there maybe the possibility of a pool between blocks B and C at the weekend at that all are welcome. Then if the gentleman who owns the pool is available to display everyone knows about it. I do understand that there are health and safety rules but adults are always in attendance and no children are left alone. The sound of children having fun is second to none and watching out of window seeing them enjoying themselves is wonderful. We are not all fortunate enough to be able to afford to take our children swimming or to the beach every weekend and this costs nothing apart from a few gallons of water. A compromise can surely be made so all are happy. :)
Al D

Post by Al D » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:44 am

debbie - I dont disagree with anything you're saying (apart from the bit about 'small minded killjoys' - the directors are duty / legally bound to run the estate in accordance with the leases, that's the reason why certain actions get taken. And often some residents are not aware of the number of complaints GCS receive from other residents about, for example, communal doors being left open and unattended).

At the risk of running round in circles / repeating myself, I'm very confident a happy compromise can be reached regarding the pool etc. It just requires Minime and GCS to agree something first so that both parties know what's going on.