Welcome to the Wellington Close residents forum

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Al D
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Welcome to the Wellington Close residents forum

Post by Al D » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Welcome - this forum is for residents past and present, landlords and potential residents / owners of the flats.

Feel free to discuss a range of issues surrounding the estate: The latest with the recladding project, who the best plumber to call is, what the view's like from your living room and so on.
Colin Jenkins

Re: Welcome to the Wellington Close residents forum

Post by Colin Jenkins » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:13 pm

Well done to whoever set this up. I firmly believe that a visible online community on a site as popular as this is excellent news, not just for discussing problems, but also I'm sure it would make the flats seem more attractive to potential residents, as they'll know there's an extra source of potential help should they encounter a problem
webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by webmaster » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:54 pm

Welcome to the site, I hope that you find the forum useful. I think that this is an excellent way of bringing residents together.

Any problems let me know via the Private Message function or email: webmaster@walton-on-thames.org
malcontent

Post by malcontent » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 pm

Ooooh a new section of the forum - welcome everyone. I read about the ridiculous recladding project in the local paper and read some amusing comparisons between the worlds tallest building in Dubai and your block on this forum, the cost being similar on this forum.

Hope it all gets sorted out.

What's it like living in Wellington Close, I imagine the views are great but I am sure it gets hot in the summer!
Content, but just....
Al D

Post by Al D » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:12 am

Off the top of my head

Pros of living in Wellington Close:

The flats are huge - two big bedrooms and a bathroom, a very large living room, an average-sized kitchen and a small balcony for the flats in the towers and the spur block flats are even bigger.

The flats are generally the cheapest in Walton-on-Thames in terms of rent and purchase price

With large windows the flats are light and airy.

The flats come with an onsite caretaker, large gardens and more parking space than probably any other flats in Walton.

The higher up you are the better the view. The flats on the seventh floor upwards offer better views than anywhere else in Walton, including the tops of the multi-storey car parks. My own flat is on the top floor and on a sunny day I can easily see: Heathrow Airport, the Wembley arch, the London Eye, Big Ben, Tower 42, the Gherkin building, Canary Wharf, the BT tower, the ITV signal tower, the river, the buildings at Sunbury Cross, most of Walton and much more!

The location - like the Heart, pretty much slap, bang in the centre of Walton.

Cons of living in Wellington Close:

The buildings were built in the 1960s and they have become a bit dated. This means they can be cold in the winter, too warm in the summer, some of the flats have leaking windows when it rains, the large windows can attract condensation and some of the pipes are old.

The flats also look from the outside quite dated.

And that's it really.

As everyone in Walton probably knows, there are plans to rectify the cons, by recladding the building, which would make it look better and would get rid of most, if not all, of those cons, although it would also get rid of the pro of them being cheap to buy and rent. There's currently a bit of an argument (to put it mildly) between the residents and the flats' management company over what the cost of this project should be, but there has been progress in the last few months and something should be sorted fairly soon.
unite2
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by unite2 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:46 am

You're right Alistair- Its a great place to live - large rooms, plenty of light and its very quiet - but you missed another of our multiple benefits !; We have over 2 acres of grounds which regrettably are not used as they should be - When all the dust of the recladding project has cleared away , I'd like to see the new mood of the residents -( mostly young folk) expressed in a garden party or some such .
As I looked at the flat on the ? 5th floor of the centre block and saw its decorations in the lead-up to Christmas, I wondered if the whole blocks couldnt be lit in a similar manner over the Christmas period. You may have gathered that I'm happy to be a resident in a block where one can park a car safely every night.
mvp

Post by mvp » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:32 pm

Once the re-cladding issues are sorted, these flats will probably offer the best combination of size, parking, location and price in Walton.

There are many look alike flats in Walton these days, so I think if these flats are restored to their original state and look, but with modern insulation, double glazing etc , will look something special in our increasingly bland town

MVP
MVP
Minime

Post by Minime » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:49 pm

Great estate..Had a great summer on the middle lawn with a lot of neighbours having BBQ,s on the lawn as well as paddling pools & bouncy castle for the kids
99.9% of the people here a nice & easy to get on with..Have only herd noise late at night once
As i am not a millionaire i can not think of a better place to live in Walton :D
spring18sonia

Post by spring18sonia » Sat May 27, 2017 4:48 pm

I've received a letter about the payment for the recladding works from Trinity estates company. I was notified that the due date for payment is Friday 7th July 2017. And I've been advised that I'd been charge for more than 70k. So much money. How can I afford it? :( :( How do you think? :?:
Al D

Post by Al D » Mon May 29, 2017 4:29 pm

Have you contacted the finance firm that Trinity briefed about the project? Or your mortgage company?
spring18sonia

Post by spring18sonia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:35 pm

if the re-cladding work has stop?