Local roads

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderator: moderator

Re: Local roads

Postby musicalteapot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Maybe after that they'll deal with the huge pot-holes on Terrace Road, the massive hole on Hurst Road just after the BP roundabout, the cratered road at the junction of cottimore and ambleside, the terrible craters, road surface and channel of death on Stuart Avenue and the massively dangerous pot holes that have opened up on Ashley Road and Ashley Park Road. Then there's the collapsing speed bumps on Sidney Road and the start of Vanbrugh Drive... etc etc

Anyone from the Council want to come on a Cycle Tour with me? Guided Tour: The pot-holes of Walton on Thames (bring your own off-road bike!).
musicalteapot
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Postby Christine E » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Thanks, everyone seems very well informed, I've been in meetings and hadn't seen the update, it would be good if it is next week.

The reply I got at 15.09 this afternoon from Cllr John Furey confirmed that '18th April is the provisional start date for the resurfacing of Sir Richard's bridge'.

It seems Cllr Furey is as well informed as I am :oops:

I have sent him a link to the page on the SCC website. I can only assume by the time he wrote his email it had changed.

Regards all the other potholes please do keep reporting them on the SCC website.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Postby Waltonwatcher » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:23 am

That Roadworks map shows Ashley Road for the road closure. Are they resurfacing Ashley Road and not the bridge on those dates?? Not sure if that covers the bridge. Fact the bridge now has warning signs about the surface suggests refurfacing could happen soon. April 18th would be a nice date for that. The weekly bulletins on that site are very useful. I could find no mention of the date for 18th of April on that site albeit it was updated on 14/03/2017. Who knows where the councillor gets his updates from.

I do report the big potholes I find. I think others take view that the work is so shoddy the holes just reappear. I have reported Haines Bridges 1-2 times already this year. It is literally like patchwork in the middle of the bridge. I think they merely filled in some of the most offending holes. Problem is the whole network of roads is littered with potholes that keep reappearing. It's hard to report every single hole.

I thought they were due to resurface Queens Road soon but the gas and Water companies are currently replacing age old pipes in that area. With some work scheduled on Oatlands Drive? I see they are planning to do the pavements here. See what happens.
Waltonwatcher
Veteran Contributor Level 1

Postby Kernowshep » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:39 pm

They are patching Sir Richard's bridge at the moment.
Kernowshep
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Postby Waltonwatcher » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:30 pm

Drove over bridge tonight. Still patchwork over most of the bridge. In the dark it was hard to work out exactly what they had done. Still has the bumpy road signs. Maybe they just levelled road a bit before resurfacing?

We were given 18th date so wait and see.
Waltonwatcher

Postby Kernowshep » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:25 pm

Went over it again today and they patched about 6 small sections, the rest is still awful!
Kernowshep
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Postby Katie P » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:10 pm

I had the pleasure of driving on the A243 today from Leatherhead to Surbiton and back. It's in an awful state in places but there is a noticeable difference in the quality of the road surface when you get over the boundary from Surrey to Kingston.

On a more local note the surface on Station Avenue is breaking down in lots of places now (more the Ashley Road end). Can anyone remember when it was done? I think it was only about 3 years ago and I'm sure SCC said it was guaranteed to last at least 10!

Edited to add that I found this document: https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/asse ... chemes.pdf

Looks like early 2014 sometime. The document also says:
. £24 million will be invested in Project Horizon – rebuilding 130km of Surreys road network through long term repairs to give a new life of between 10 and 30 years
Katie P
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Postby musicalteapot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:01 am

Ashley park avenue is also collapsing and that was only done a few years ago (well most of it). Terrace road was redone when the cycle lane was done, but that too is collapsing.
Lets hope the council has the warranties!
musicalteapot

Postby Lewy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Katie P wrote:I had the pleasure of driving on the A243 today from Leatherhead to Surbiton and back. It's in an awful state in places but there is a noticeable difference in the quality of the road surface when you get over the boundary from Surrey to Kingston.

On a more local note the surface on Station Avenue is breaking down in lots of places now (more the Ashley Road end). Can anyone remember when it was done? I think it was only about 3 years ago and I'm sure SCC said it was guaranteed to last at least 10!

Edited to add that I found this document: https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/asse ... chemes.pdf

Looks like early 2014 sometime. The document also says:
. £24 million will be invested in Project Horizon – rebuilding 130km of Surreys road network through long term repairs to give a new life of between 10 and 30 years

I have reported Station Avenue to SCC on three separate occasions. The last time (about six weeks ago) I got an email back explaining that there is an agreement in place with the contractor so that any repairs in the first two years are done free of charge to the council and so the repairs will not cost them (and us taxpayers) anything. I replied saying the road was resurfaced three years ago. Surprisingly I haven't received a reply.

Total and utter incompetence at so many levels.
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Postby Waltonwatcher » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:30 pm

St Richard Bridge does have a road closure sign on it for 18/04/2017. So one would hope it is being resurfaced then.

Seven Hills Road has a burst water main at junction with the A245. I drove over this today. Large stream of water flowing down A245 towards the A3. Expect major disruptions in next few days to get this fixed. This is another part of the road network that needed resurfacing too. See how long it takes to replace it. Will they close off Seven Hills Road to fix it?? Hmmmm.

The Gas works on Oatlands drive are also fun. Traffic lights on the main road. Some of the adjoining roads have had roads with large holes left on them for 1-2 weeks now. I would not be lighting any cigarettes in this area. You can smell the gas.

This could be a lot of fun come Monday rush hour.
Waltonwatcher

Postby Waltonwatcher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:24 pm

St Richards bridge due to be resurfaced tomorrow? Completion date shows 19th so could be closed for 2 days?

Looks like Seven Hills road is also due a gas disconnection work. 2 way traffic signal? Sound more like to a private address than digging up the main road.

The chances are this work could fail very quickly but they have to do something I guess?
Waltonwatcher

Postby Katie P » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Waltonwatcher wrote:St Richards bridge due to be resurfaced tomorrow? Completion date shows 19th so could be closed for 2 days?

Looks like Seven Hills road is also due a gas disconnection work. 2 way traffic signal? Sound more like to a private address than digging up the main road.

The chances are this work could fail very quickly but they have to do something I guess?

The signs by Sir Richards Bridge say overnight for one night on the 18th so I'm looking forward to a smooth drive over it on Wednesday hopefully!

There is a new house being built on Seven Hills Road (at the Cobham end) and there were some two way lights there one day a couple of weeks ago so wonder if it's the same property.
Katie P
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Postby magnolia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:43 am

That house (?) being built on Seven Hills Road, what's the planning number?
magnolia

Postby Katie P » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:01 pm

magnolia wrote:That house (?) being built on Seven Hills Road, what's the planning number?

It's 2016/1999. It's not strictly a new house I don't think. It looks like they're using the shell of an existing (long abandoned) building and building around that. It's that one that you wouldn't have known was there but a load of trees/scrub was removed a few months ago and it suddenly appeared!

I go down there a few days a week so I was curious what was going on and looked it up.
Katie P
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Postby magnolia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:08 am

Katie P wrote:
magnolia wrote:That house (?) being built on Seven Hills Road, what's the planning number?

It's 2016/1999. It's not strictly a new house I don't think. It looks like they're using the shell of an existing (long abandoned) building and building around that. It's that one that you wouldn't have known was there but a load of trees/scrub was removed a few months ago and it suddenly appeared!

I go down there a few days a week so I was curious what was going on and looked it up.

Thanks.

I looked it up but couldn't find it for some reason.

I think that's one of the old buildings used during WII.
magnolia

PreviousNext

Return to Local discussion