Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Re: Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Postby magnolia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:18 am

colinmac wrote:It will be an impressive sight when the traffic from the new Birds Eye development meets the traffic from the Stompond Lane development as it tries to get through the halfway

You forgot the traffic from the new Ryden's development.
magnolia
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Postby Christine E » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:48 pm

It doesn't seem to be on here although it was posted on their website, but they have another exhibition of the current plans at Cornerstone Church, Station Avenue, today until 8pm.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Postby Warren » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 am

magnolia wrote:
colinmac wrote:It will be an impressive sight when the traffic from the new Birds Eye development meets the traffic from the Stompond Lane development as it tries to get through the halfway

Key reason our house is on the market, every green space, seems to be earmarked for development in Walton/Hersham, with no thought to impact on the existing creaking infrastructure... Dorking here we come!
Warren

Postby magnolia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am

Warren wrote:
magnolia wrote:

Key reason our house is on the market, every green space, seems to be earmarked for development in Walton/Hersham, with no thought to impact on the existing creaking infrastructure... Dorking here we come!

Dorking's lovely.

What are the numbers here?

Rydens Housing Development - 296

Stompond Lane 56

Walton Court (Birds Eye) 375
magnolia

Postby Warren » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 am

plus, looks like Esher Rugby club are planning to sell off/develop their main playing fields & move back onto fields near reservoirs, and I wouldn't be surprised if Drake Park goes ahead...

Pity. I know it is progress and housing is required, but just getting too dense around here
Warren

Postby colinmac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:13 pm

You are not wrong Warren
colinmac

Postby RetiredWorker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 pm

There is a great need for more housing and to make it as 'affordable' as possible it has to be at high density. So where should it be built.
Here in Elmbridge we must decide on either Green Spaces in rural or semi-rural areas or sites in areas with existing high density occupation.

Personally I regret that we must increase construction in Surrey, but I suspect that we are all NIMBYs at heart. The Birds Eye building is,
in my opinion an eyesore well past it's sell by date and should have been demolished years ago. Anything other than a MacDonalds would
be an improvement.
RetiredWorker

Postby Jonblue » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:49 pm

As an aside, I often think that developers miss a trick by virtue of a lack of decent sized 'retirement' homes for the ever increasing army of elderly couples who perhaps live in 3/4 bedroomed semi's or detached homes. Many will have thought of downsizing but are put off by the often rabbit hutch size dwellings in town. These folk want, and can afford, something a little larger. However, I guess developers are driven purely by profit and cramming as many homes on a site as possible so older residents hang on until forced to move out in their late 80's or early 90's! Only a thought.
Jonblue

Postby John at Walton » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:16 pm

John at Walton
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Postby cockneylil » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Did a bit of a recce on Broadway Malyan as could not open the entire link without registering.
Here is the article link.https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/new ... 38.article
cockneylil

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 pm

Not a serious suggestion, but wouldn't it be nice to take the aluminium (or whatever they are) Birdseye logo inspired panels and incorporate them into the new cladding for Wellington Close. Keeping a bit of Walton history.

Not a new idea - the wood paneling in the bell ringers gallery at St Mary's is from the demolished Town Hall.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
Tim

Postby John at Walton » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:49 am

[quote="Tim"]Not a serious suggestion, but wouldn't it be nice to take the aluminium (or whatever they are) Birdseye logo inspired panels and incorporate them into the new cladding for Wellington Close. Keeping a bit of Walton history.

Agreed - That's an interesting idea, they are easily removed and cleaned.

The wood panelling in the bell ringers gallery at St Mary's is from the demolished Town Hall.
Yes, it is Rata (or Red Wood) from New Zealand donated from New Zealand for Walton on Thames helping them during WW1.
Last edited by John at Walton on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John at Walton

Postby Jonblue » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Good idea from Tim - he's not just a pretty face :)

Part of the reception area to the building are also worth salvaging and perhaps incorporating somehow. The walls were in a nice unusual wood cladding and the floors and some walls (I seem to recall) were fashioned in large white slabs of marble. It's worth repeating that this was a superb excellently maintained building when occupied and decades ahead of it's time -- a superb workplace - allowed in my opinion by the owners ( following Unilever) to deteriorate for obvious materialistic purposes.
Jonblue

Postby Waltonwatcher » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Tim wrote:Not a serious suggestion, but wouldn't it be nice to take the aluminium (or whatever they are) Birdseye logo inspired panels and incorporate them into the new cladding for Wellington Close. Keeping a bit of Walton history.

Really unlikely to happen.
1. Wellington Close has planning permission based on a certain design. It cannot change that without additional planning. Given the dealine for paument of the cladding has now passed it's not even an option.
2. Grenfell. Would they really risk a 60's material being used on a new cladding project. The materials being used for Wellington close are the highest rated in terms of fire protection. Even at 660 degrees the cladding/insulation would only melt. The materials on the old Birdseye site should be recycled if useable. I suspect they may be past their shelf life.
3. it may give sentimental value to locals who want to keep some of the old design but ultimately no one moving into a flat really wants some old fashioned cladding lining their modern home.

@ retirement homes. That development down Oatlands Drive. (Austin Place?) It's been open for well over a year now and still has signs up saying flats for sale. Maybe they are too small? That or the 350k price mark is too much for locals.

http://www.anchor.org.uk/our-properties ... ent-styles
(I have no link to Austin place or Anchor.)
Waltonwatcher
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Postby Tim » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:38 pm

Waltonwatcher wrote:Really unlikely to happen.

Hence that's why I said "not a serious suggestion"
Waltonwatcher wrote:3. it may give sentimental value to locals who want to keep some of the old design but ultimately no one moving into a flat really wants some old fashioned cladding lining their modern home.

Given that Wellington Close was built only five or six years after Walton Court and both have a classic 60's build look, I'd think it would be entirely within keeping.

I wonder if there is somewhere around Walton (dull walls for example) that may benefit from this. It would be nice (albeit only for sentimental reasons) to think they could be re-used rather than simply sold for scrap.

Or mayvbe they could be melted down and moulded into little figurine replicas of the statue at the entrance and offered for sale with priority going to people who used to work there.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
Tim

PreviousNext

Return to Local discussion