Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderator: moderator

Re: Birdseye Building - SOLD FOR RESIDENTIAL

Postby magnolia » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:18 am

colinmac wrote:It will be an impressive sight when the traffic from the new Birds Eye development meets the traffic from the Stompond Lane development as it tries to get through the halfway

You forgot the traffic from the new Ryden's development.
magnolia
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Postby Christine E » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:48 pm

It doesn't seem to be on here although it was posted on their website, but they have another exhibition of the current plans at Cornerstone Church, Station Avenue, today until 8pm.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Postby Warren » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:43 am

magnolia wrote:
colinmac wrote:It will be an impressive sight when the traffic from the new Birds Eye development meets the traffic from the Stompond Lane development as it tries to get through the halfway

Key reason our house is on the market, every green space, seems to be earmarked for development in Walton/Hersham, with no thought to impact on the existing creaking infrastructure... Dorking here we come!
Warren

Postby magnolia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am

Warren wrote:
magnolia wrote:

Key reason our house is on the market, every green space, seems to be earmarked for development in Walton/Hersham, with no thought to impact on the existing creaking infrastructure... Dorking here we come!

Dorking's lovely.

What are the numbers here?

Rydens Housing Development - 296

Stompond Lane 56

Walton Court (Birds Eye) 375
magnolia

Postby Warren » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 am

plus, looks like Esher Rugby club are planning to sell off/develop their main playing fields & move back onto fields near reservoirs, and I wouldn't be surprised if Drake Park goes ahead...

Pity. I know it is progress and housing is required, but just getting too dense around here
Warren

Postby colinmac » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:13 pm

You are not wrong Warren
colinmac

Postby RetiredWorker » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:22 pm

There is a great need for more housing and to make it as 'affordable' as possible it has to be at high density. So where should it be built.
Here in Elmbridge we must decide on either Green Spaces in rural or semi-rural areas or sites in areas with existing high density occupation.

Personally I regret that we must increase construction in Surrey, but I suspect that we are all NIMBYs at heart. The Birds Eye building is,
in my opinion an eyesore well past it's sell by date and should have been demolished years ago. Anything other than a MacDonalds would
be an improvement.
RetiredWorker

Postby Jonblue » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:49 pm

As an aside, I often think that developers miss a trick by virtue of a lack of decent sized 'retirement' homes for the ever increasing army of elderly couples who perhaps live in 3/4 bedroomed semi's or detached homes. Many will have thought of downsizing but are put off by the often rabbit hutch size dwellings in town. These folk want, and can afford, something a little larger. However, I guess developers are driven purely by profit and cramming as many homes on a site as possible so older residents hang on until forced to move out in their late 80's or early 90's! Only a thought.
Jonblue

Previous

Return to Local discussion