Walton Casuals Return to Waterside Drive

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Walton Casuals Return to Waterside Drive

Postby Carl » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Walton Casuals return to Waterside Drive this Saturday with a home fixture against Horsham 3pm kick off
Chairman Tony Gale had a spot on Sky Sports News last night and talked about how he became involved with the club.
But missed the ideal opportunity to promote Saturdays fixture
Carl

Re: Walton Casuals Return to Waterside Drive

Postby PaulH » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 pm

It looks impressive. I think W&H start their fixtures there at the end of the month.
PaulH
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Postby Lewy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:52 pm

PaulH wrote:It looks impressive. I think W&H start their fixtures there at the end of the month.

I believe this is the case Paul although you won't find any mention of it on WHFC's official website which doesn't even acknowledge the Sports Hub exists.
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Postby Casuals Ron » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 am

There will be speculation that W&H FC will be ground sharing with the Tennis Club next, the amount of gossip/false news that surrounds this story. :D :D :D
Casuals Ron
New User
New User

Postby PaulH » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:58 am

Lewy wrote:
PaulH wrote:It looks impressive. I think W&H start their fixtures there at the end of the month.

I believe this is the case Paul although you won't find any mention of it on WHFC's official website which doesn't even acknowledge the Sports Hub exists.

That's very true. I went on the website to look and there's nothing, so I went on the fan forum and there's a mention that someone thinks that they'll be moving then. It's very strange, really, given the significance.
PaulH

Postby stevemc » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:24 am

So the Spirts Hub is up and running? I always imagined the end of the world would arrive with a bit more fanfare :lol:
stevemc

Postby musicalteapot » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Yes. I noticed that the lights were on last night with something going on. Seems that access is via the seperate road - not sure if that is a permanent arrangement.
I did notice that there is a large banner proclaiming the Sports Hub as the Home of Walton Casuals. Didn't see any WHFC posters though.

looks good.
musicalteapot

Postby John at Walton » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:26 pm

No grand opening?
No cutting of tape?
Mayor/MP/Royal visit?
Celebrity Charity Football Match for grand opening?

If people remember Paul Kenyon (also brought with him three Chelsea players incl Peter Chec) to open the refurbished leisure centre.
I would have thought this would be a bigger opening!

Pity its going to be raining for this grand match.
Do not forget to return the ground to it's present state after the match, we do not want boot marks or pot holes on our new pitch!!

Who is going to score the first goal on our new pitch and immediately turn himself (or her) into a football & elmbridge legend!!!
DO NOT let Horsham score first!!
John at Walton
Veteran Contributor Level 3
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Postby John O » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:39 pm

There will be an official opening ceremony next week (I've even had an invite...can't think why) but I don't know if an eminent sporting celeb will also be present.

And, having started all those years ago with a mighty bang, the whole saga has ended with hardly a whimper as on Tuesday EBC's Planning Committee unanimously agreed the development of Stompond Lane.
John O
Community Representative
Community Representative

Postby Lewy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:18 pm

John at Walton wrote:No grand opening?
No cutting of tape?
Mayor/MP/Royal visit?
Celebrity Charity Football Match for grand opening?

If people remember Paul Kenyon (also brought with him three Chelsea players incl Peter Chec) to open the refurbished leisure centre.
I would have thought this would be a bigger opening!

Pity its going to be raining for this grand match.
Do not forget to return the ground to it's present state after the match, we do not want boot marks or pot holes on our new pitch!!

Who is going to score the first goal on our new pitch and immediately turn himself (or her) into a football & elmbridge legend!!!
DO NOT let Horsham score first!!

Well there will be serious problems if there are pot holes on the new pitch bearing in mind it is artificial and as for the first goalscorer in the match being a her ..... then her team are likely to be in a whole load of trouble with the FA!
Lewy

Postby water » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:21 am

I wonder if the save the Fox brigade will reappear once they start to demolish stompond lane sports ground.....
water
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Postby Lewy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Went to the Walton Casuals game at the new ground last night and was very impressed both with the standard of football on display and the facility itself. As it was raining I didn't tour the entire site but the main stadium was first class with quite naturally a large turnout of Casuals officials welcoming one and all to the ground. The artificial pitch played well with few unnatural bounces and the ball travelled much as it would on a good grass pitch only getting held up slightly late in the game when it became very wet.

I chatted with one of the youth coaches who told me they had over four hundred local kids in their set-up and they were delighted that they could house them all on the one site making them feel all part of the one club which was previously more difficult when they were playing on pitches all over the area.

Regardless of whether they are associated with Walton Casuals or Walton & Hersham having such an excellent facility to keep this many kids busy and exercised rather than have them getting bored and possibly involved in mischief elsewhere must be a good thing.

So despite the storm the end of the World didn't come (as stevemc remarked below) and I think the Council should be congratulated on providing an excellent new sporting facility for Elmbridge. Casuals should also be commended for the positive way they have bought into the project.
Lewy

Postby Christine E » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Short post as I don't post here often, perhaps I should.

Just to say I was there at the launch yesterday with John O and the other Councillors. How quickly 6 years have gone by! I'm pleased to have been part of this, and we all know how challenging it has been.

Not everyone was as convinced as perhaps we were John but I for one want to thank you for your vision. This was very much 'your baby' and you took a lot of flak along the way. I don't see this as political, it was just something I believed was the right thing to do.

I'm really pleased all seems well, after all we've been though, now it's time to move forward and get behind all the Clubs entering a new phase in their own history. I wish them all well. And no, we don't want another Foxgate, please not.

On Sunday there is special opening day for residents, link here to details:

http://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/news/xcel-sports-hub/
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Postby magnolia » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:00 pm

With Walton Casuals announcing on a Facebook page that it's 'THEIR' new stadium, will be interesting to see how it all goes.

Remember it cost us all circa 18 million.

Edit

That might have been 'OUR' :roll:
magnolia

Postby Lewy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:39 pm

magnolia wrote:Remember it cost us all circa 18 million.

No it didn't.

Bring back the bots. They post far more reliable information.
Lewy

Next

Return to Local discussion