Emergency Roadworks - A244 Walton Bridge Road

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Emergency Roadworks - A244 Walton Bridge Road

Postby cdsman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 am

Huge delays last night on commute home, due to the new roadworks on the A244 near Marshalls Roundabout - on the approach to Walton Bridge. Single file traffic, controlled by traffic lights..
Queues went back to Sunbury Village along the Lower Sunbury Road, and along Gaston Bridge Road, back past Upper Halliford to the M3 flyover...
Delayed for over an hour to travel that 2 miles...

And when you get to the traffic lights, road is not dug up (just the footpath) and of course nobody working on these emergencey roadworks!
Again this morning, before 7am - queues already back over Walton Bridge...

Reported by email to SCC - automated reply states they will respond within 28 days!! Telephone call to SCC results in another frustrating 15 minutes logging a complaint about the roadworks - but they clearly can't do anything as the permit has been given!

Roll on the next 6 days! Might have to get the bike back out of winter storage!
cdsman

Re: Emergency Roadworks - A244 Walton Bridge Road

Postby musicalteapot » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:21 pm

According to Surrey CC website the works are for:

EXCAVATION IN THE C/WAY, F/WAY& VERGE TO LOCATE & REPAIR GAS ESCAPE...

So it does look fairly important. Presumably if it is the footway which has been dug up, there is a walkway on the road to allow pedestrians to get past?

It may not last 6 days. That's the estimated maximum length of time. I would guess that there is a default 1 week estimate for that sort of repair.
musicalteapot
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Postby John at Walton » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:31 pm

SCC Roadworks again - someone ought to bill these people for loss of business!
If it turns out to be that path again or anything associated with it.................

Thursday/Friday awful trip back - backed up to Sunbury Bridge (17.30 - 19.00)
Last night it was backed up to Sunbury Bridge so I went through Shepperton - even worse queues backed up all the way to Shepperton High Street. (17.30 -19.45!!)
(waiting in traffic so far total 5 hours!)

What it will be like tonight - I fear for the other road users as my patience is wearing very thin at present!

"It may not last 6 days. That's the estimated maximum length of time. I would guess that there is a default 1 week estimate for that sort of repair."
Or the repairs might take even longer (rain and possible snow forecast) !!!!!
John at Walton
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Postby Lewy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:09 pm

Don't you just love these 9 to 5 emergency situations!
Lewy

Postby musicalteapot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:18 am

Lets take a deep breath.

The roadworks are nothing to do with Surrey County Council. They have just approved the emergency work. The works are the responsibility of SGN who in turn are responsible for the Gas pipe network in our area.
They are doing the works to remedy a gas leak.

Personally I would prefer a traffic jam to a gas explosion.

Secondly, the initial work was probably done quickly - i.e. excavating to the pipe and making it safe. The remedial work usually takes longer. Often there needs to be time for things to dry or "go off" before the next stage can be done. It may be that different contractors are needed to do different jobs, and are being coordinated. The company will be trying to remediate the defect in the most cost efficient way within the time frame allotted. They won't want to go over as that will create additional cost.

Whilst this doesn't help the traffic situation, in those circumstances I like to remind myself that however long it takes, I am going to get to my destination eventually. I find google maps helps in giving me a pretty concrete estimate of how long it will take. I also remind myself that losing my temper is completely and utterly pointless. Better to enjoy the radio, listen to an audiobook etc than get riled by circumstances outside of my control.
musicalteapot

Postby Lewy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 pm

Probably is such a wonderful word isn't it?
Lewy

Postby musicalteapot » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:58 pm

It is. With a gas leak, they are very likely to have excavated to the leak and made it safe quite quickly (unless the leak is very minor, in which case they may be going more slowly).
Obviously the excavation also has to be done safely to avoid igniting any concentrations of gas.

On balance, still better to fix it than not.
musicalteapot

Postby Lewy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Likely is another very useful word too isn't it?
Lewy

Postby John at Walton » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:57 pm

"I am going to get to my destination eventually"

LATE!!

Yes well Environmental issues, I would not trust EBC (or SCC) after the recent contamination issues in Walton on Thames.
What with Road Potholes, Water, now Gas emergency problems that have to be fixed immediately.
Are they really checking the right things or just waiting till it goes wrong.

I can not see any improvement in our environment, in fact it's getting worse.

Yesterday was much better road conditions - left at six and got thru traffic via Sunbury in my usual time!!
John at Walton

Postby cdsman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:52 am

I accept that these are / were emergency works and of course nobody wants a gas explosion...
BUT
Why didn't they just section off a one metre wide section of carriageway to allow pedestrians to get past...
...or...
put in a Northbound diversion along Walton Lane - uninterrupted single lane... and Southbound along Walton Bridge Road.

I did get there eventually, and I did enjoy listening to the radio, but there doesn't seem to be any thought that goes into the closing the carriageway.

See also - Road now fully closed in Lower Sunbury, at the bottom of The Avenue - with random ROAD CLOSED signs set up with no indication as to where the road is closed, and strange Diversion arrows all over the place!!
cdsman

Postby musicalteapot » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 am

John at Walton wrote:"I am going to get to my destination eventually"
I would not trust EBC (or SCC) after the recent contamination issues in Walton on Thames.
What with Road Potholes, Water, now Gas emergency problems that have to be fixed immediately.
Are they really checking the right things or just waiting till it goes wrong.

What contamination issues?

SCC are responsible for road surface and potholes
SGN are responsible for Gas pipes
Thames Water are responsible for sewerage and Affinity Water the mains water pipes.
UK Power Networks are responsible for mains electrical cables.

It is pointless to try and blame SCC for issues which they have no responsibility for. They give permission for road works.
The signage and layout is prescribed by the Department for Transport and usually implemented by SCC in liaison with the company carrying out the works. DAFT often require far more road to be cordoned off than seems sane and sensible. It is related to safety and the speed of the road I believe. There do seem to be some daft rules about where "road closed" signs are put. I always think that they should only be on the road that actually is closed, and a different sign indicating whether the closure is left, right or ahead should be on the main road.

SCC do coordinate non-emergency works, but obviously emergency works are carried out when they are needed. Arguably there needs to be more investment in the Gas network but private companies are more interested in profits.

Finally, if you need to arrive somewhere at a specific time and know that there are problems on your route, then setting off earlier is your only option. :D
musicalteapot

Return to Local discussion