Excel pool. Filthy

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Davros
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Excel pool. Filthy

Post by Davros » Mon May 16, 2016 5:07 pm

I have complained before but things happen slower than the continental drift.. :wink:

Anyway the staff were using nets this am to remove some of the solids. Bit of publicity seems to do the trick maybe.
Davros

Post by Davros » Mon May 16, 2016 5:13 pm

Further to the above, well done DrJ your intervention probably jump started a clean up.
Davros

Post by Davros » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Same old issue at the pool this morning. Balls of body hair gambolling across the bottom amongst the usual detritus.
I was last there 3 weeks ago and the water is still like chicken soup.

Good to see the staff walking around the pool in their uncovered outside shoes too. Yep the bloke with the clipboard looking for the hair balls but can't see them for reason mentioned above.

Any one know who at the council to contact? The staff at the pool don't take any notice while all the time the tide mark gets darker.

I'm minded to cancel my membership and go elsewhere
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Sorry to hear this Davros. I've let EBC Leisure Dept know.
Davros

Post by Davros » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks Christine, the water was clear this morning and the scum mark around the pool had been attacked :wink:

Debris on the bottom had been reduced.

Things are swimming in the right direction it seems :D
tricky_dicky
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by tricky_dicky » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Shame it needs highlighting on here for it to get done though - you would think this would be normal day to day maintenance / upkeep
Kernowshep
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by Kernowshep » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:39 pm

The learner pool was supposed to be closed this week on Mon and Tues, I think it was for work on the moveable floor (I got given a couple of weeks notice). I presume they did some deep cleaning at the same time.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:03 pm

The thing is that it's clearly deeply rooted in management culture to avoid doing anything that costs money.
Look at the reception area - it has been falling to bits for years.
The changing rooms are still terrible. The family change is poor - I spent years when my kids were little complaining about the state of the toilet in there and the state of the cubicles.

Management want to spend as little money as possible.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi, I did get a 'reply' on 10 March to my email of 6 March to EBC Leisure Department with an explanation from People for Places on this.

I asked EBC if I could make it public and despite asking them twice now I've not had a reply saying I can do this.
NoOne
Location: The Vine, Rubys, The Swan. And generally looking for the guys who hacked the forum....

Post by NoOne » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Does anybody from the council do any kind of inspection because the running of this pool is a shambles. Ive been meaning for a long time to smuggle a camera into the pool area to photograph some of the disrepair but Im not sure of the legality of photographing in a pool environment. But its not just the disrepair. Its also how the facility is being used. For example the teaching pool, try taking your kid there after school and its basically just shut, and is 100% being used for private lessons.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:28 am

This is so disgusting, even the title of the thread makes me feel queasy.
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:01 pm

I have been given permission to post the People for Places (PfP) response (this was written by them to EBC on 10 March 2017):
'We have had an issue with our pool vac over the past few days, and therefore the floor of the pool hasn't been cleaned to our usual standards. The pool vac will need new parts which we would aim to have on site within a week. In the meantime though, this doesn't present an issue in cleanliness as we can manually clean the pool with our pool brush and net.
The only member's of staff who would walk around the pool without blue overshoes on, would be a staff member wearing there indoor shoes, all other staff members wear blue overshoes. We are strict on the use of overshoes; to add to this, the poolside is washed down 3 times a day.
The tide marks, or "scumlines" of the pool are regular cleaned by our lifeguard team. These have now been cleaned.
Finally, we don't have a set time or day we would backwash. We follow PWTAG guidance which states that backwashing should be completed a minimum of once a week, but it is completed dependant on filter pressure differentiation (varies on how busy we are).
Davros

Post by Davros » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks again for your input Christine but that response is laughable.

I saw Mickey Mouse in the high street today. He was wearing a 'People For Places' watch

:wink:
Davros

Post by Davros » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:40 pm

Spotted on the pool floor this morning;

Three sticking plasters, several hair balls one the size of a melon. Two hair grips, an ear plug, several earrings, what appears to be a tooth crown and a false eyelash. So not too bad..

I'll let you know if there still there on Wednesday Magnolia :wink:
water
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by water » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:30 pm

It really is disgusting what people will take into a swimming pool, I bet most of the culprits don't shower either yuk, :mrgreen: