M&S Food Hall

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

magnolia
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: M&S Food Hall

Post by magnolia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Opened this morning at ten.

A winner. Well pleased.

Parking a disaster. M&S don't own the car park. You need to take a ticket from the machine. Then put one part in your car window and take the other part to the till. Free parking for 15 minutes or if you spend a fiver.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:40 pm

So basically free parking for those shopping at M&S who are parked in the M&S Carpark?

Surely a result rather than a disaster? If you can come out of M&S food having spent less than a fiver, I would be very impressed.

Is there a barrier now to get out?
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 pm

It was a personal disaster as I couldn't or rather didn't, take the ticket from the not very visible machines. I read a sign that didn't make it obvious either. Then I asked the M&S staff member and they said nothing about taking a ticket.

I don't know how they monitor it as there's no barrier. I suppose it's like Homebase/Bunnings. Do you give a registration number at the till? I never have.

We spent only 4.15 for a coffee and a sot drink in the cafe.

As it's my local corner shop, I might want to pop in for 'sugar' or something else that costs less than a fiver.

Anyway, I'm pleased with it especially as we'll now have the best of both with Lidl coming to Hersham.

Although, no substitute for Aldi in many respects.
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Lewy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm

I walk to my corner shop.

It helps avoids personal disasters.
Benbow

Post by Benbow » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:32 pm

I'm confused easily done, if there is no barrier is it a pay and display car park with a warder walking round frequently. How much does it cost to park. You say free parking if you spend £5 so could you park all day if you spend £5 or is there a time limit like Sainsbury's 2hr. They must have some sort of control otherwise people just take advantage
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:35 am

I've no idea as I couldn't make sense of the parking. A M&S 'manager' gave me that information as I was leaving but as we hadn't actually spent a fiver, queues too long, it didn't help. Half expecting a ticket in the mail a la Aldi, though not sure how they's identify us.

However, also still hoping that whatever the system is, it wasn't active on the first day of business.

It does seem a little odd that there's a big sign saying M&S car park and then when one asks for operational details, the first thing said is that it's not M&S's but belongs to Europark.

Apparently, according to the 'manager' when M&S bought the site, they didn't also purchase the car park. That would make sense as Aldi didn't run the car park either but Safeway and Morrison's did, I believe.

No doubt it will all become apparent and signs will be put up to make things clear.

Still a very welcome addition to the town. :D
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:22 am

Mrs Teapot has been to visit. She tells me that you pay £2 into the machines for a ticket.
If you spend £5 or more at M&S they then refund you the £2.

I suspect the 15 minutes is a grace period to get the £2.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:59 am

The fifteen minutes is to allow a customer to pick up stuff ordered online but that won't be long enough at Christmas.

JL do this but the grace period is longer.

NOW if John Lewis were to come to the town, that would be something. :D

Thanks to Mrs MT for the explanation. Sounds like things are better organised now. Does that mean a car park attendant will be checking for cars without tickets?

That's the Homebase/Bunnings system isn't it?

Essentially two hours for two quid or if you're a customer of over 5 quid - free.

Also free over the road on Saturdays at the moment isn't it? Don't rely on this info. I'll check later.

Edit
On reflection, it means the number plate recognition is still in place.
No parking ticket so far. :D
Not used the car park since, though.
falkor

Post by falkor » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:09 pm

on a side note I worked in the BP petrol station Wisley last year, it is virtually an M & S, the first couple of weeks I was stacking shelves trying to keep pace with customers intent on ransacking the M&S shelves 6am - 10pm

the petrol station is 24 hrs but from 6am there's never a dull moment, I moved on from there but happy memories
NoOne
Location: The Vine, Rubys, The Swan. And generally looking for the guys who hacked the forum....

Post by NoOne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 am

Is the parking situation clear now ?
I ask this as I was told by staff in MS that no tickets are needed ? But this was a couple of weeks ago, maybe its changed since then.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Yep. It's gone back to no tickets. You have 2 hours free parking.
Downside is that there seem to be some issues with keeping the parking free from rubbish.
People seem to have picnics down there and leave the rubbish for the rats.
falkor

Post by falkor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:54 pm

can't help thinking of Safeway when I go in there