getSURREY Update on Stompond Lane

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Re: getSURREY Update on Stompond Lane

Post by Lewy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:51 pm

There was always a link between the two projects as the sale of Stompond Lane was to fund the Sports Hub. This has been public knowledge for years.

"Last week it was confirmed that the project will be paid for by the sale of Stompond Lane sports ground, with the new hub housing Walton & Hersham FC, Walton Athletic Club and Walton Casuals FC.

Source http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- ... ts-9627728 (July 2015).
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:50 pm

For clarity:

There was no link between the two projects in terms of the planning permission applications.

The council plan to use the funds generated from one project to replace the funding used the other project, so there is a council budgetary link.
However the Council have reserve fund money to ensure completion of Waterside Drive regardless of the progress of Stompond Lane.
The reserve will be replenished and thus Waterside Drive is cost neutral.

The article appears to be a poorly put together rehash of earlier articles for the most part. Anyone who has walked or cycled down to the Weir will have seen the work done to install vents, and the EIA has resulted in a greatly improved and much safer plan for remediation as well as improvements to lighting and sound due to the lowering in height of the pitches. So a good result for those both for and against the development. Good to see that John O is active in trying to improve the transport links.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:36 pm

For clarity:
My post was in response to the statement "Remember when it was claimed here that there was no link between the two projects?"
John O
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by John O » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm most grateful to Lewy and MusicalTeapot for once again - for the fifteenth time ? - demolishing this ludicrous canard about what was or was not connected between Stompond Lane and Waterside Drive.

Watching Monday's webcast of the SL application (I would have much preferred to have maintained the increased public open space that was an important feature of the outline approval), I was nonetheless impressed by the effusive endorsement by Cllr Selleck, the RA Council Leader, and the overwhelming 8-2 majority. I am sure that the Tennis Club's entirely reasonable concerns will be satisfactorily addressed by the conditions that both Sport England and the Council's own officer will have to agree the final arrangement - indeed, the matter can be raised again by the committee if necessary.

I am also delighted that the bus service from Hersham will be restored to Waterside Drive from September.

Assuming that the Full Planning Committee will also grant approval, that will FINALLY allow residents to know the income the Council will receive from London Square: it's fair enough that this has been confidential thus far.
Tim
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by Tim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm a little confused. It seems the tennis club are objecting to the acoustic fence protecting the development from noise from the tennis club. Why? Or have I got this wrong?
magnolia wrote:Remember when it was claimed here that there was no link between the two projects?
I think you'll find in the small print and under the breath that there was no link in planning between the two projects. Politics, I'm afraid.
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:15 am

Stompond lane planning. Approved! Development comprising two-storey day nursery and 54 residential units with associated access, parking (to include 36 space car park for adjacent tennis club), garaging, landscaping and tennis practice wall following demolition of existing buildings and structures

http://edocs.elmbridge.gov.uk/IAM/IAMCa ... 897207.pdf

Least this puts to bed a lot of drama over this site. Unless someone tires to appeal it?
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Some interesting provisions in there. Many cycle racks and electric charging points for cars.
The future is on its way!
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Post by Christine E » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Tim,

Just saw your post re the Tennis Club's concerns about the proposed acoustic fence.

It's not that simple, I represented their concerns at the North Area meeting it came to recently. It was me and the Club who first raised noise concerns, very early on, in fact I raised it at the very first meeting at Council when London Square presented the very first design. Roy Green and Anne Hill agreed with me, we had to be sure that noise from a tennis ball hitting a practice wall hundred of times an hour would not become the source of complaints in the future from new homes on the perimeter of the site, that is not fair on the future residents or on the Tennis Club, who's business was there first. The Club should be able to carry on with their business unhindered by a new build next door.

Sport England had backed their concerns in this and that to build a 3 sided wall around the practice wall was going to detrimental and would make that court pretty unusable, effectively turning it into a squash court, causing moss build up in winter, and child safety concerns for summer camps. It was originally proposed to be 21 feet high and that is as high as an average 2 story building. Maintainance would have been an issue due to the proximity of nearby buildings.

I worked with the Club with Officers and others Cllrs and eventually we got some of the buildings where noise could be an issue moved slightly. A second acoustic report was carried out and varied design have been looked at. Another acoustic report is about to be carried out and now the buildings have been moved it is hoped another one sided, lower design will be suggested. That issue is covered by the conditions set by NAP and agreed by full Planning. We are not there yet but are hopeful it will be resolved before long, in the meantime that phase of the build can not be started.
Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:51 am

Christine E wrote:Tim,

Just saw your post re the Tennis Club's concerns about the proposed acoustic fence.
... to build a 3 sided wall around the practice wall was going to detrimental and would make that court pretty unusable, effectively turning it into a squash court, causing moss build up in winter, and child safety concerns for summer camps. It was originally proposed to be 21 feet high and that is as high as an average 2 story building. Maintainance would have been an issue due to the proximity of nearby buildings.
Asked and answered. Thank you Christine (and welcome back)
There are two paths you can go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on
mvp

Post by mvp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:02 am

The Stompond Lane site is being handed over to the developers today apparently.
MVP
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:23 am

Another planning application for Stompond Lane. Looks like this will be a 2 phase build.

'Variation of Condition: 2 (Approved Plans) of planning permission 2017/0080 (Development comprising 54 residential units, day nursery and associated access, parking and landscaping) to include Phasing Plan.'

2018 2529
Warren

Post by Warren » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:30 am

So it likes like phase 1 is building the day centre? and a show home...