Rivernook Farm

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Benbow

Rivernook Farm

Post by Benbow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 pm

I see planing permission has been given for 97 new homes on Rivernook Farm, I realise that we desperately need more housing in this area,, what worries me is what is being done to our ageing water supply pipes and can our sewage system cope, I should imagine with all the development going on all of our utilities and roads could do with a major upgrade. Walton is trying to become a bit upmarket as well, we should be looking for a much better public transport system as well to try and take the commuting cars off our roads instead of our ancient scruffy overpriced busses
magnolia
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Re: Rivernook Farm

Post by magnolia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:08 am

It's going to be pretty busy down there what with the new school too.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm

The water supply and sewerage forms part of the planning application. Thames Water and Veolia will have to approve and ensure that they have capacity to add new homes in that area.

As for the roads, they tend to be the lowest priority as money needs to be spent elsewhere.
Regarding Public Transport, the train service is pretty good. The Bus companies tend to be driven by demand.

Looking at the Bus map, I think the main change that I would make would be to reroute the 564 so that instead of meandering around to Hersham, it would go left down Sidney Road and then right up Station Avenue to Walton Station. This would then provide a single route from the Station to the Excel via Walton Health Centre.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 pm

We have no infrastructure for new houses - How many more major housing projects do we have to put up with in Walton on Thames!!

A good thing in the budget two minutes ago:-
The chancellor says it "cannot be right" to leave properties empty "when so many are desperate for a place to live".
Local authorities will now have the power to charge a 100% council tax premium on empty properties.
water
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by water » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Take it from me , thames water does not have the capacity to deal with the extra sewage, more untreated destined for the river :twisted:
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:10 pm

As that would currently be illegal and Thames water had a 20 million pound find in March for illegal pollution of the River Thames, it seems unlikely.

The good news is that we will soon be able to cut that pesky red tape (European Union Waste Water Directive) and go back to the good old days of pumping raw sewage into the rivers when we feel like it.
Good old Brexit.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Also Thames Water have a very dodgy tax situation - no corporate tax paid for ten years and seem to have money in (paradise) Cayman islands.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... s-chairman
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:05 pm

But again, that isn't relevant to whether or not there is sufficient infrastructure to support development at Rivernook Farm.

Unfortunately the current Government supports tax avoidance. Mostly because many of its MPs rely on those loopholes.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 pm

musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Looks very nice to me. Especially the new park / recreation area.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

I see they've starting building the new road now which is visible when passing.
Benbow

Post by Benbow » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:13 am

I now see that Birchwood Commercial have been given permission to turn the Wellington Pub into 12 one bed apartments.
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:25 am

With the onslaught of online shopping likely to continue unabated particularly affecting villages and smaller towns like Walton I guess councils will have no choice but to turn disused shop premises into sorely needed (hopefully) social housing to help many young people who have absolutely no chance of buying a home. So in 5-10 yrs time or less, I guess our High St will look very different as a total rethink will be necessary. Brave new world!
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:14 am

Now our MP is Housing Minister every major planning application for residential housing will be APPROVED!
If an application for a major project were to be rejected the project will go straight into the national papers - "housing minister rejects building new houses etc"!
This is even though he is nothing to do with the planning committee in the borough council!
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:08 pm

I doubt that as you could argue that there would also be newspapers reporting the opposite viewpoint - "Housing Minister approves houses decimating Green Belt", "Housing Minster rides roughshod over planning laws" etc.

Also - as you point out his brief does not include approving planning permissions nor does he have any power to intervene. In the case of planning appeals they fall under the remit of Sajid Javid as Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government and not the Minister of State:
The minister is responsible for:

housing supply policy
home ownership policy
planning policy
planning casework oversight
Homes and Communities Agency sponsorship
estates regeneration
Thames Gateway
building regulations
private rented sector regulation
Neighbourhood Planning Bill
The Secretary makes decisions, the Minister shapes policy.