Bunnings

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

magnolia
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Bunnings

Post by magnolia » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Opening soon:

www.bunnings.co.uk/our-stores/walton-on-thames

Saturday 17th March ONLY
11:00/12:00/13:00/14:00
See Chase & Skye from Paw Patrol during story time sessions.

Not entirely sure what Chase & Skye means or Paw Patrol for that matter but could be small people might be keen.

Edit
PAW Patrol - Canadian animated series
John at Walton

Re: Bunnings

Post by John at Walton » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 pm

I am impressed - takes a lot to impress me!

I like the price match which they did not do in Homebase as you could always get paint and many other products from Wilkinson's cheaper!

Our policy is lowest prices are just the beginning, and we're committed to it.
Bunnings' policy applies to branded identical items sold by Bunnings that are currently stocked and available on the same day from a competitor, whether from an online store or physical store local to your Bunnings.
We do a lot of things to deliver lowest prices. We check competitors’ prices on branded identical stocked items and, whenever we find a lower price (a competitor’s final price includes taxes, fees, charges and same day delivery, if applicable), we drop our price so we stay lowest.
We don't pretend to be the lowest at every instant, so if you find a competitor's lower price on a branded identical stocked item, we'll beat it by 10%.
Don't forget our policy excludes trade quotes, stock liquidations/clearances and commercial quantities and we include in the competitor’s final price any taxes, fees, charges and same day delivery, if applicable.

Also like the idea of Free DIY workshops!
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 pm

it'll be interetsing to see if they can compete on price with Screwfix (non trade counter).

It's a good marketing ploy though. I never used to buy anything at Homebase as Screwfix, Toolstation, Wilco etc were always cheaper without fail. Homebase's policy seemed to be to take the retail price, double it and slap a sticker on the shelf.
I'm hoping that they are going to go back to being a DIY store rather than a store that has a little bit of everything but not enough of something to be useful.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm

I like the price beating thing and use it at John Lewis. Saved over £60.00 on a fancy kettle my daughter wanted last Christmas.

I'm also fond of the DIY classes and did some at a B&Q miles away. Loved learning how to use an electric drill and non electric saw so I might do some of those too. Not that I've ever used any of the skills learnt.

Looks like a bit of a mixed offer, although this is one of their smaller stores as opposed to a 'warehouse'.

On another DIY note, the new shop in the High Street is worth a visit. Is it called Warehouse Clearance or something?

Got some french-style jam jars there and never seen those in the UK before.
MikeA
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by MikeA » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:19 am

I'm looking forward to seeing it. I've been to one of their flagship (brand new rather than revamp) stores and it's a very viable alternative to B&Q. A much larger range of DIY equipment than Homebase ever had, and the prices were far better. I usually use Screwfix Lyon Road for Click and Collect, but as I can walk to Bunnings it may become the preferred option.

Lots of talk as to how bad the takeover has gone for them though: http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/b ... 4yze8.html
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 am

Better not get too attached.
magnolia

Post by magnolia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:00 am

musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:25 pm

not only open but very good. far far better than homebase. a proper diy store with good stock.
Waltonwatcher
Veteran Contributor Level 3
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:47 pm

http://www.diyweek.net/struggling-bunni ... ward-slope

Bunning wise this seems more positive. I think the stores upgraded already are more likely to survive here. I doubt the Walton store will close as they are operationally improving things. It was probably picked for upgrade first due to it's performance.

The remaining Homebase stores I think they will look at performance and cost to convert each store. At this point other stores would be more likely to close. The beast from the east has not helped. Note also they have decided to close other stores instead of converting them.

All those hoping for an Aldi store here keep dreaming.

The merger of Asda and Sainsburys will have little impact in Walton as Surrey is very limited in terms of Asda stores.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:47 pm

indeed. One of the advantages that the Walton store has, is that it is a fairly long way from key rivals.
probable 30 minutes to the nearest Wickes or B&Q. Screwfix is the only competition and the disadvantage screwfix has is that you can't see the products, only their pictures. They also don't really do paint.

Sometimes you just need to walk down a wall of screws, bolts and nails!
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Tue May 01, 2018 11:44 am

The merger of Asda and Sainsburys will have little impact in Walton as Surrey is very limited in terms of Asda stores.

J.Sainsburys will have cheaper prices in the future (about end of 2019) if the merger happens.
About ten percent cheaper prices on major lines than the are now!
water
Contributor Level 3
Contributor Level 3

Post by water » Sun May 06, 2018 7:35 am

Is it just me, but i find bunnings a bit pricy, compost, cheeper in wilkinsons, couldnt see any paint brushes under 4 quid, went to screwfix and got a pack of 10 for 3.49........
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 am

Is it just me, but i find bunnings a bit pricy, compost, cheeper in wilkinsons, couldnt see any paint brushes under 4 quid, went to screwfix and got a pack of 10 for 3.49........

Bunnings do Price Match so if you find any goods cheaper in town they will sell it to you at that price minus 10%!!
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Tue May 08, 2018 2:55 pm

True, but sometimes it's hard to compare to get the price match. E.g. bunnings do a 5 pack of gripper-rods for £4, but Screfix do an 8 pack for £4.79.
So screwfix is more expensive per pack, but less expensive per item. As they are different packs from different companies, price match doesn't come into it.

Plus a lot of their stuff is own-brand and price match only applies to branded items.

I find they are most invaluable when i want to actually look at the items.

Swings and roundabouts.
MikeA
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by MikeA » Fri May 25, 2018 5:26 am