Carpetright set to close; Perfect spot for Aldi

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Al D
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Carpetright set to close; Perfect spot for Aldi

Post by Al D » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:48 pm

I went to the Aldi in Chertsey on Monday and you cant get a parking space mid-morning as it's so busy.

With so many shops closing in Walton and Aldi saying they didn't want to leave and would welcome an opportunity to come back, why don't the council talk to them about the former Woolworths site, which looks like it's about to become vacant?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43239036
Waltonwatcher

Re: Carpetright set to close; Perfect spot for Aldi

Post by Waltonwatcher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Looking at the Carpetright site and M and S site. The Carpetright site is about half the size. Site would be too small for Aldi.

Then you have the issue of parking. Does this site even have access to the carpark near Wilkinsons?

The other article I read suggested Carpet Right had about 100 stores more than it should have. The stores that had been modernised were apparently doing better than the old style formats. I think Walton had been modernised.

Other sites linked Carpetright issues to the housing market. Housing market is struggling right now. No one can afford these prices? People are looking but not buying. Wage squeeze starting to take hold.

The final issue is leases. How long is there left on their Walton lease? Some can be expensive to get out of. Carpetright is worth circa 39m. Over 20m debt! The cost of ending all it's leases could be higher than the companies net worth. I could see this store closing. Walton has been struggling lately to keep shops. Luckily no Maplins in Walton. Not sure how well Walton's housing market is really doing.

You can bet Carpetright will be asking for rent reductions on many leases.
Al D

Post by Al D » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:39 pm

It just seems odd that councillors are bemoaning the loss of shops and there are now several empty shops in Walton, and the company behind the second busiest shop in Walton's history wants to come back and there is demand for it to come back, that a deal can't be worked out.

My recollection when Carpetright was Woolies is that it was a big store, but yeah, maybe not big enough.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:06 pm

Council has no money! They will hardly subsidise a firm like Aldi. Rest would cry wolf! There are no out of town retail parks near Walton where Aldi could go.

It's hard to see any ideal site for Aldi. I still wonder about the Weybridge hospital site. They were also looking at another site in Weybridge.

Lidl are actively looking for new sites. Guildford is on this list twice! Hersham too but we know about this.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/sh ... e-14264210

Wait and see game. Any new site would require planning and that could take months.
Benbow

Post by Benbow » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:33 pm

I agree with Waltonwatcher parking would be a major problem with the Carpetright site, if they did take it (nothing anywhere saying Carpetright is closing Walton store) it would end up trolley's ending up all over town and Aldi would not want to pay for somebody collecting them. The only sites in Walton that would be suitable for Aldi are 1. a purpose built site but I cannot think of a large enough chunk of land left in this area now. 2. Where they used to be if M&S decide to pull out in a couple of years time as I am not convinced they will do well there especially with the car park and large 4x4,s that M&S customers drive. 3. The best site in Walton would be Bunnings large enough store with plenty of self contained parking. But I would hate to see the DIY store disappear from Walton. At the end of the day though is Walton big enough for 3 large supermarkets and another few smaller ones around the area. To many supermarkets and you could end up with Sainsbury's going and that would be a major blow for Walton.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:37 pm

We had someone round from Carpetright last week and they seemed quite buoyant.
He didn't think that Walton store would be closed if there were closures.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:51 pm

Yes we certainly don't want more stores closing no matter how much we all miss Aldi. Lidl will be open soon enough.
lynnep54

Post by lynnep54 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:08 pm

If carpet right is closing then maybe Iceland could come back to Walton.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:22 am

Unless the firm goes into administration I really doubt this. They may trim store numbers but as someone else has already suggested they seem to be doing well in Walton. Upmarket town with cash to splash on homes. Just not on clothing. Many people are quite careful with their money these days. I suspect many pretty much spend their wage by the end of the month. However Walton has plenty of millionaire mansions that can afford products from Carpetright.

The idea that Iceland is going to come to Walton seems a bit far fetched. Quite a crowded town in terms of supermarkets once M and S arrives. Still not sure site would be big enough for them. They do have stores 3-5 miles from Walton in all directions. Addlestone, Feltham being closest. Tolworth too. They do still seem to be building new stores. Iceland Warehouses seems to be be idea from them.

I think Walton needs a big new retailer for the Heart. Do what they did in the Friary in Guildford. Merge units and move retailers about to make room for a big store. They were trying to do this before Brexit vote. There are stores that still want to open in Surrey. See what happens.
Kernowshep
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by Kernowshep » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 am

If you are after carpets it's worth checking out Vincent's at the halfway. We found them much cheaper than carpetright, better service/too (no charge/deposit for borrowing samples either). Online and finding a carpet layer was cheaper again (but more hassle that we couldn't be bothered with at the time).

The problem for some shops like this is your can try / feel the physical product then go off and buy online much cheaper having harvested the advice etc. Obviously there will come a tipping point where this is no longer possible when physical stores have closed down.

P.S. I don't think they've had the on trend grey store front makeover so might be worth watching out for that as an steer on its future.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 am

but the undeniable advantage that a big chain like Carpetright has is the ability to offer 4 years interest free credit, thus making it easily affordable. Most people can mange £40 a month over 4 years. It's harder to find £3,000 up front.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:29 pm

Mothercare now in trouble and it's talking to the banks. That could open up quite a few retail locations. They have a big store in the Byfleet retail park. More Aldi options?

Maplins, Toyrus (Toyrus in Woking is having a closing down sale.), Prezzo closing 95 stores, Jamie's Italians closing restaurants. Multiyork, Warren Evans among others.

Of course we could see a Pep&Co store open at some point? maybe do a larger style store incorporating Pound land and Pep&Co?
https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/20 ... e-primark/

Overall if the right venue closes down Aldi could well these sites. Chertsey vs Byfleet? Probably about same distance. The Toyrus site is huge.

A lot of empty retail units to fill in the new year.
Kernowshep
Contributor Level 1
Contributor Level 1

Post by Kernowshep » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:32 pm

@musicalteapot True - although it would probably be cheaper to get a loan (or much better to use a fee free 0% credit card) for the lesser amount (which was 20-30% less on most of the ones we looked at) but appreciate credit availability/check issues for some might negate this.

I guess some of the increased price pays for the credit/insulates against the defaulters.

Re Aldi - the Burpham store is only about 20min drive down the A3 in non rush-hour traffic which I find easier than the Chertsey store.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:58 pm

https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/prope ... est-london
https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/prope ... ired-towns

List includes
Walton/Weybridge/Surbiton/Sunbury/Esher/Chertsey and Byfleet. Basically anything in and around Walton/Weybridge

Unclear how old this list is. May not have been updated in a while as Chertsey still on there. They would love the Mothercare site based on this.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:09 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43288045

Oh dear. Could Carluccio's be in trouble too. Seems too many firms trying to sell Pizza. This could see a Walton restaurant close. Nothing announced yet.