Ride London consultation

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

webmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ride London consultation

Post by webmaster » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:41 am

An interesting article has been published about the Ride London Cycle event which passed through Walton-on-Thames each year.

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local- ... l-14727319

It seems that many residents are unhappy with the event. What are your thoughts on the event continuing and passing through Walton-on-Thames?
Warren

Re: Ride London consultation

Post by Warren » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:50 am

Its once a year - communicated well in advance, and is a great advert for healthy activity as well as being a huge fundraiser for charity. I really don't understand all the negative feeling about it.
tony
New User
New User

Post by tony » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:33 am

Its not the main ride London event that annoys me, its well organised, its all the clubs mimicking the event before and after the event, riding in groups 06 or more 2 abreast along Terrace road blocking the traffic, the other day I was crossing the road outside the Co op in Terrace road the zebra crossing traffic lights, the bleeper was sounding and the lights were red, so I started to cross, a group of 6 cyclist came rushing past and shouted at me on the crossing " get out the Fu***** way we are in and important club race.
they ignored the traffic red light. If I could have knocked them off without damaging myself I would have done.. the interesting thing is the lycra gangs do not use the cycle lanes costing thousands of out council tax money. They should be registered with a Hi Vis number on the back so we can make a complaint to the police
John at Walton
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Post by John at Walton » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:21 pm

They should change the route each year, one year north London - one year south London
They might even get more competitors if they did that!

It seems the roads they ride on are prioritised for refurbishment rather than other local roads with big potholes!

Their is also a backlash because few people agree or use the cycle paths not only in WoT but elsewhere in Surrey!
scottini47
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by scottini47 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:36 am

Warren wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:50 am
Its once a year - communicated well in advance, and is a great advert for healthy activity as well as being a huge fundraiser for charity. I really don't understand all the negative feeling about it.
Totally agree, people need to lighten up a bit.
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:43 am

I think a few things are being conflated here.

The MAMILS (and MAWILS) generally cycle at 20mph. They therefore do not usually use cycle lanes on slower roads. Terrace road for example has an end to end (BP Roundabout to High Street) of 14mph. So they are as fast as the traffic. Any cars going 30mph will soon stop due to someone turning, or the traffic lights etc.

They cycle in packs as it is demonstrably safer than travelling single file, precisely because it stops cars from overtaking. It feels frustrating if you are cycling behind a pack, but usually the time travelled evens out. The reason for not going single file is that then cars are trying to over take and cut in dangerously as they try to pass 5 to 10 (or more) cyclists. In these circumstances (if you are driving) it is best to try to take a deep breath and remember how much money you are saving on petrol.
They do not however block traffic, they just lower the speed that cars can drive often without actually delaying the frothing motorist behind them. I actually think this should be part of the driving test. Understanding average speed of travel.

That said, the behaviour at red lights is appalling and should be prosecuted more often. The idea of licensing or identifying has been mentioned before. In practice it would be costly to enforce and to carry out.
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Post by Lewy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:21 pm

I find it interesting that you cannot have unlicenced car races on the roads but apparently you can have unlicenced cycle races.
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 pm

To me it looks like they decided to continue this to 2026 at meeting on 29th. Why would they plan for something they intend to scrap?

Decision:

RESOLVED:

1. To host the Prudential RideLondon-Surrey event in 2020 using a route similar to the previous years to be delivered by the current delivery company, the London-Surrey Cycle Partnership (LSCP) under a one year extension to the current contract.

2. To continue to collaborate with the Greater London Authority, Transport for London and their delivery partners, to allow planning for events up to 2026, was agreed in principle. Approval of hosting events from 2021 to 2026 would be sought from Cabinet, following consultation.

Reasons for Decision:

There was a need for both Surrey and London, as the hosting areas, to agree or not to the hosting of the event to be delivered by the LSCP for 2020. This was to allow LSCP to approach the professional cycle teams to open discussions for the London-Surrey Classic. There was a pressing need for this decision because the contract with LSCP expired in 2019 and there was a need to allow them to represent the event in discussions. In addition the Summer of 2020 was a busy period in the sporting calendar due to the 2020 Olympics and Tour de France, and as such there was a need to secure the professional teams for the event.

There was a need for in principle agreement to host the event until 2026 to allow officers to undertake early discussions about possible events beyond 2020 subject to hosting being agreed.
Benbow

Post by Benbow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:48 pm

An interesting piece of an article written by Simon Cowel of the Wildlife Aid Foundation who has a lot to say about the way government local and national is acting well worth a read of the full article on paragraph is as follows.

Another dose of bad news came in the form of the revelation that the leader of Surrey County Council had done a secret deal, behind closed doors, with London Mayor Boris Johnson, for Surrey to host the annual RideLondon cycle race for the next five years! Some might think this is good news – it’s great, after all, to encourage cycling (healthier than driving!) – but for the Wildlife Aid Foundation it means yet more disruption because the route will be, as it has been for the last 3 years (including the 2012 London Olympics) through the middle of Leatherhead and along Randalls Road, closing off access to/from the WAF veterinary hospital and preventing members of the public from bringing in sick and injured animals, and preventing us from going out on rescue missions. For the last 3 years we have been arguing about this with SCC and have pleaded for them to change the route or to make special arrangements for access to the centre, but it seems that our pleas have been totally disregarded by the powers-that-be. Again, this is a case of ‘money trumps all’. Hosting the RideLondon cycle race is, SCC claims, in the economic interests of Surrey. But is it? What is the real cost, both in terms of money and disruption?
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 am

Not very clear when he wrote that bit of handwringing though.
Leatherhead has a particularly bad time of it as the roads are closed from 7am to 7pm but there seem to be far more supporters than complainers.
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:19 pm

musicalteapot wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 am
Not very clear when he wrote that bit of handwringing though.
Leatherhead has a particularly bad time of it as the roads are closed from 7am to 7pm but there seem to be far more supporters than complainers.
Has there been a survey of Leatherhead residents then?
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Generally there are more supporters than complainants.

https://mycouncil.surreycc.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?ID=13116
Lewy

Post by Lewy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Hmm because an undetermined survey carried out by those on one side say so? Personally I'd need to see the results of an independent survey of a significant number of local residents before I'd make such a sweeping statement.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:33 am

Lewy wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:54 pm
Hmm because an undetermined survey carried out by those on one side say so? Personally I'd need to see the results of an independent survey of a significant number of local residents before I'd make such a sweeping statement.
I agree!
This so called survey was among people who watched the event (not residents) and said "did they enjoy it" NOT "did they want it"!
This was also in 2015 - views have changed since then especially since that little used over priced cycle path has been thrown down!
musicalteapot
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by musicalteapot » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:23 pm

John, you need to get past this.

The Cycle Path isn't used by RideLondon
It was paid for by Central Government. The need for it was demonstrated by the number of accidents in that location and the increase in numbers of people cycling
It is used regularly, daily, although there are still a number of idiots who would prefer to endanger their own lives by cycling really slowly up the hill. These are often over 60s for some reason.
The Cycle path was never intended for MAMILS and they aren't slowing you down when you drive along Terrace Road.

I agree with you about the Survey however. The report is here:-

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/prudential-ri ... report.pdf

23% of the people watching in Surrey lived nearby. Now of course, those who hate it and want it stopped are unlkely to be watching it, so there is an inherent bias.
A proper residential survey would cost money of course, which would either need to be sourced from RideLondon (in which case less money for charity) or from the Taxpayer (in which case less money for potholes).
TBH I suspect most people would be ambivalent. It's one day a year and is at the start of the summer holidays, on a Sunday.

Maybe we should lobby for RideLondon day to be an Annual Car-Free day?