Boots /Whsmith site to be demolished.

Local Events, Planning, Commnunity discussions relating to Walton-on-Thames and the surrounding area

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Waltonwatcher
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Boots /Whsmith site to be demolished.

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:19 pm

2018/1683 - 13-19A High Street Walton-on-Thames Surrey KT12 1DG

Mixed-use development comprising Retail (A1) (522 sqm), Retail (A1)/Restaurant (A3)(209 sqm) and 30 flats,incorporating car and cycle parking, bin stores and associated works following demolition of existing buildings.

Crucially they are splitting the unit into 3-4 retail/restaurant units. Meaning Boots/Whsmiths is downsizing, moving or closing.

The units will have 4 floors and include 30 flats. With access from for parking from behind M and S.
Waltonwatcher

Re: Boots /WhWmiths site to be demolished.

Post by Waltonwatcher » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Apparently both units are being demolished. So 4-5 stories high and 30 flats on the high street.

So area where Boots/Whsmiths/Dorothy Perkins and burtons were will look prettty bleak.

I do hope one of them moves into the Heart. Overall Walton High Street is dying here.

Their recent accounts talk about reducing rent at lease renewal. Also having their store in the best locations. There is no mention of store closures. At present a unit in the Heart looks like best place for a store. However it may not be the cheapest option. You can bet WHSmiths will want to force any lease costs down as much as possible. See what happens.
magnolia

Re: Boots /Whsmith site to be demolished.

Post by magnolia » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:10 am

Heard a rumour of this last year.

I think Boot's & Smith's are the only two shops I really use in the town now.

Occasionally, Paperchase and Waterstone's but that's it.

I'll only be going in to town for the odd market then and perhaps M&S if I'm picking up a delivery.

The High Street is already dead to me.
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Perhaps we are going back to the pre-18th century look, the high street shops in Walton on Thames used to be only on one side of the street!!
Waltonwatcher

Post by Waltonwatcher » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:33 pm

7 objections to this project now.
One complains there should be at least 10% recharging points for electrical cars. They will have 2 bays for this. Not sure everyone is reading the planning documents before commenting.

They have actually done a lot of homework preparing these plans. This is not the first planning permission this firm has done.

Complaining about Boots and WHSmiths leaving I doubt is a planning permission issue. They could close their stores anyway.

They talk of cycle bays instead of parking. Apparently if you offer more cycle bays you don't have to offer each flat parking. I guess it pends if people need a car to reach stuff like supermarkets or work.

I can't seei this being blocked. See what happens.
scottini47
Contributor Level 2
Contributor Level 2

Post by scottini47 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:50 am

Let's be honest, the High St in Walton needs to condense if it wants to survive. If Boots do a half decent trade they'll move to another site if they think it's worth it.
Jonblue

Post by Jonblue » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Perhaps this item in today's BBC news sums it up?

Britain's town centres are "in big danger of becoming ghost towns in the future" if immediate action is not taken, warns a former retail chief.
Bill Grimsey, former head of Wickes, Iceland and Focus DIY, launches his second report into the future of town centres and High Streets on Wednesday.
He told the BBC: "We must act now.
"Forget retail for town centres, they need to become community hubs based on health, education, entertainment, leisure and arts and crafts."
Mr Grimsey's report says that facilities such as libraries and digital and health hubs should be part of the offering to bring back people to town centres, together with housing and some independent shops.
And he explained to the BBC: "We are social animals. We need gathering places as otherwise we are going to have a generation of very lonely people growing up."
John at Walton

Post by John at Walton » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:04 pm

stevemc
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Post by stevemc » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:56 am

Walked through the High Street earlier and what a state it is. Leaving aside the shabby, mismatched buildings and empty units, the pavement is stained, the road cracked and breaking up and weeds are poking through. While you have to admire groups like WOTTA doing their best to make a difference, isn’t it time the council stepped in? I appreciate it’s not theirs to develop but maybe time to take a lead and try to promote and coordinate development fit for the 21st century rather than just sit back and wait to deal with individual applications on a piecemeal basis.

Sadly, as I’ve said before, most of our local councillors (of all parties) seem far better at opposing other people’s ideas than proposing their own. I fear that new paving stones and a few plant pots may be the limit of their rather lacklustre vision
mvp

Post by mvp » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:15 am

How about get rid of both Zebra crossings with their zigzag lines and put a single pelican crossing opposite the Heart.

Previously zigzag areas could be turned into free 30 minute parking slots which would instantly invigorate the High Street
MVP