Broadband

National/Global discussions etc

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Broadband

Postby Benbow » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:56 am

I have just had a letter from Virgin Media saying they are putting the price up by £1.99 per month (I wonder if this is to pay for Richard B's island damage :lol: ) as it is getting a bit expensive now I am thinking of changing to Vodafone who seem to have good fibre deals without landline charges. As I don't have a landline phone this is good. Anybody have experience of Vodafone broadband reliability and service please,
Benbow

Re: Broadband

Postby Lewy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Wish i could help but I'm sure some of the hundreds of bots on here will have some advice for you very soon Benbow!
Lewy
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Postby @DavidIons » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Benbow wrote:I have just had a letter from Virgin Media saying they are putting the price up by £1.99 per month (I wonder if this is to pay for Richard B's island damage :lol: ) as it is getting a bit expensive now I am thinking of changing to Vodafone who seem to have good fibre deals without landline charges. As I don't have a landline phone this is good. Anybody have experience of Vodafone broadband reliability and service please,

No experience of Vodafone... Same, fed up with Virgin keep upping their prices.
I have just switched from Virgin to BT after 20+ years and I am getting higher speeds around the house! BT router much better than Virgin.

BT Phone & Infinity upto 52 meg £29.99 - achieving 49.60 Mbps download & 9.90 Mbps upload (13/09/17) connection via wifi
Virgin £34.00 Broadband only upto 100 Mbps (quoted £50 to include landline by disconnections dept)- achieving 29/32 Mbps download via wifi or 100Mbps direct into hub.
@DavidIons
Community Representative
Community Representative

Postby Waltonwatcher » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Unless you use your broadband for TV you likely won't need 100mb.

I am on 76mb fibre with Plusnet. With phone works out about £30 a month. That was a renewal price. With Plusnet you get free calls to other people on Plusnet. So can work well in certain circs. Not tested my speed lately.
Waltonwatcher

Postby musicalteapot » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:08 pm

Is there anyone left in the world that *doesn't* use their broadband for TV?
musicalteapot
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Postby magnolia » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:10 pm

I want to ditch Virgin too.

Don't watch much tv but when I do, it's usually catch-up on a computer. I was able to binge watch the whole series two of Upstart Crow in advance in two sessions. I regret that a bit now :(

Thinking of just leaving the existing tvs as free view & buying a smart tv.

Have a landline but it's unplugged due to all the nuisance calls. I've kept it because somebody said you need it for 'emergencies'.

I think that means I only really need broadband from a supplier.

Should I go for BT Infinity?

Edit
It seems BT Infinity is not available in my postcode. :(
magnolia

Postby Waltonwatcher » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:14 pm

Try this site.

https://availability.samknows.com/broad ... nd_checker

Should tell you when fibre will be available to you.

Oh I do use broadband for my Nowtv set but I mostly watch recorded tv and films/series I have on disc. Although there are a lot of good series I have not watched. I was always more about broadband for PC use.
Waltonwatcher

Postby Joel » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:24 am

@Magnolia: Check this website: https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker - should hopefully give you an idea of what services are available where you live.

As for what provider you should use, as much as it pains me to say this if VDSL isn't available where you live (or as it's marketed, BT Infinity) I'd have to suggest going with Virgin Media (though their lower tiers are almost certainly adequate for most people).

With that said, I'm personally using AAISP who I absolutely love though if your plan is to save money then I can't really recommend them - they're certainly one of the more expensive ISPs. They do however have the added benefit of being a small company with an office in Bracknell. The result of this is that their support is absolutely miles ahead of anyone else I've ever used. The downside is that I'm paying £60/mo for 80/20 when with Virgin Media I could get 300/20 and still pay less, with the caveat that Virgin Media's support, friendly as they may be, are entirely useless.
Joel

Postby magnolia » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:49 am

Thank you.

Very helpful.

I think I am paying for services I don't use and the broadband is often down all weekend.

I'll check out the links.
magnolia

Postby Benbow » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:39 pm

Update - It pays to complain, I wrote to VM's customer service department about the price increase etc. and the outcome was instead of increasing the price by £1.99 a month they have decreased it by over £4 per month. They have sent me a brand new router (free of charge with no postage fee) and increased my speed from 50mbps to 100mbps (just done a test and it shows I am getting 109mbps). Me a happy bunny now. :P :D
Benbow

Postby magnolia » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Benbow wrote:Update - It pays to complain, I wrote to VM's customer service department about the price increase etc. and the outcome was instead of increasing the price by £1.99 a month they have decreased it by over £4 per month. They have sent me a brand new router (free of charge with no postage fee) and increased my speed from 50mbps to 100mbps (just done a test and it shows I am getting 109mbps). Me a happy bunny now. :P :D

They gave me one too. Super!

Makes a massive difference.

Reading what you write, I'm going to work on the monthly payment now whilst I await the BT service.
magnolia

Postby Waltonwatcher » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 pm

Providers normally provide a new modem at the end of a contract (last 3 months?) to entice you to stay if you call. That with some form of discount. I have done this with Plusnet twice over last 4 years. This year mainly to grab the all in one modem. Eventually got 76mb fibre and phone line for £30 all in. £18 for line. £12 for fibre.

Could of switched to BT or another provider for £50-£100 cashback but I like the service. Ironically BT are currently upgrading a lot of their customers to faster speeds for free.

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/ ... customers/

@Benbow - 109mb is very impressive speed. Been streaming videos here for last couple of hours and not had a single hanging screen waiting to be loaded. Of course the real test is streaming live sporting events in HD.
Waltonwatcher

Postby magnolia » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 pm

The Archers is a very smooth broadcast now.

Might call BT as well.
magnolia

Postby John at Walton » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Ironically BT are currently upgrading a lot of their customers to faster speeds for free.

This is definitely NOT FREE, they will put you on a contact for faster broadband (with hardly any data limit) at a low price (same as your normal broadband price)
but soon as your contact runs out in one year BT will put you on default contact and you pay full price for high speed.

If you go over your data limit during the month they will charge an extortionate price for going over the data limit!
(for example, if you watch BT TV each weekend for the football you will go over your monthly data limit)

It not free, unless you renew your contact regularly and hardly go over your data limit!"
John at Walton
Veteran Contributor Level 3
Veteran Contributor Level 3

Postby Benbow » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:17 pm

One thing to watch that some people may not know is that Plusnet is now owned by BT. I would never go back to BT after they ripped me off with sky high prices, especially for international calls.It amazes me how these old pre privatised companies that had a monopoly now think it is okay to rip people off.
Benbow

Next

Return to General discussion