Did anyone know Miryam simmons (Muriel Simmons)

Looking for someone or think that you may be able to help? Please visit the people search section of this forum.

Moderators: moderator, musicalteapot

Did anyone know Miryam simmons (Muriel Simmons)

Postby Deeneesee » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:13 pm

I have been looking for my aunt for several years. I found out a few weeks ago that she lived in Westcar Lane but died in 2009.
Miryam Simmons was a retired school teacher. She was my late fathers sister. Miryam my father and another sister Adlene were orphaned in India in 1927,
they were sent by a guardian to the Royal Masonic school in Bushey Herts where they boarded. My father was later adopted aged 14.
My parents divorced in 1960, and my father died in 1972 and I had little contact with him unfortunatly ,so I have little knowledge of Miryams life.

I would love to speak to anyone who knew Miryam. I know she had a son, he may have been called Hugh, but I am not sure.
If anyone has any knowledge of the late Miryam Simmons please get in touch. It would be lovely to piece together my family history of which I have little knowledge.
The sad thing is that all the years I tried to find her I have been living in Worcester Park, so close yet so far.
Deeneesee
New User
New User

Re: Did anyone know Miryam simmons (Muriel Simmons)

Postby dribylrae » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Deeneesee,

You would have a far larger audience if you were to re-post this on the general discussion board. I know I very seldom look on this part of the site as like many, I am sure have the discussion board saved to their favourites.

I do hope you find the information you are seeking.
dribylrae
Veteran Contributor Level 1
Veteran Contributor Level 1

Postby sewell01 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Does the name Ellen Oberlander mean anything to you ?
She lived with Miryam Simmons.

Please get in touch via PM and I'll point you in the right direction !
sewell01
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Postby sewell01 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:27 pm

Worth seeing...

http://www.bmdsonline.co.uk/2818751/gallery

There are a few Hugh Simmons listed on 192.com too, if indeed his surname was the same.
sewell01

Postby iandavies » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:58 pm

Muriel Simmons taught me at St Martin's School in Walton-on-Thames (long since closed), mainly in about 1951. She was one of my favourite teachers (being calm, pleasant, and interesting) - a bit of a contrast to fiery Ellen Oberlander who was my form teacher the year before! I still remember M.S. reading to us from a book about a Nigerian boy called Salifu; she gave us a good feel for what it was like to live in a different country - a valuable piece of education for a 7-year old. She also told us a bit about her life in India - the main thing I remember was her saying that on journeys they had to clean their teeth in soda-water as it would have been dangerous to drink the water. She did indeed have a son called Hugh, whom I knew a little. I think he was perhaps a year older than me, which would make him about 69 now.

She did in fact share a House with E.O., and 192.com gives the address as 85 Westcar Lane, Hersham. They still seem to have been there in 2002, I wish I had tried to find them before - but the house belongs to someone else now.

I hope this helps a bit - do feel free to contact me if you would like to hear more, I can probably remember a bit more with prompting,

Best wishes,

Ian Davies iandx@hotmail.com
iandavies
New User
New User

Postby sewell01 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:53 pm

iandavies wrote:Muriel Simmons taught me at St Martin's School in Walton-on-Thames (long since closed), mainly in about 1951. She was one of my favourite teachers (being calm, pleasant, and interesting) - a bit of a contrast to fiery Ellen Oberlander who was my form teacher the year before! I still remember M.S. reading to us from a book about a Nigerian boy called Salifu; she gave us a good feel for what it was like to live in a different country - a valuable piece of education for a 7-year old. She also told us a bit about her life in India - the main thing I remember was her saying that on journeys they had to clean their teeth in soda-water as it would have been dangerous to drink the water. She did indeed have a son called Hugh, whom I knew a little. I think he was perhaps a year older than me, which would make him about 69 now.

She did in fact share a House with E.O., and 192.com gives the address as 85 Westcar Lane, Hersham. They still seem to have been there in 2002, I wish I had tried to find them before - but the house belongs to someone else now.

I hope this helps a bit - do feel free to contact me if you would like to hear more, I can probably remember a bit more with prompting,

Best wishes,

Ian Davies iandx@hotmail.com

Fantastic news Ian, and thanks for joining the org.
I'll send an e-mail to the o/p to ensure she sees your response !
Many thanks.
sewell01

Postby Donald Isler » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:58 am

I have very fond memories of Muriel and Ellen. I was a cousin of Ellen, and always enjoyed visiting them when I came to England. (I live near New York City.) And I still came to see Muriel, who was a wonderful hostess, and a kind, caring and very intelligent lady, when I came to England after Ellen died.

I had heard that Muriel had a brother, but did not know what happened to him, and never heard that there was another sister. Muriel also said she was sent "back" to England (she was born in India) to go to school, not because they were orphaned. I thought the parents were still alive at that time, though she said they never returned to England.

Yes, she had a son, named Hugh, who lives in Australia, but I never met him.

Good luck in researching your family history!

Donald
Donald Isler
New User
New User

Postby Deeneesee » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Hello Donald,

We are thrilled to hear from you, and loved hearing the positive things you had to say about Ellen and Muriel.

As you can imagine there is much we would like to learn about them, as we missed out on all those years.

Our family history and Muriels, we have discovered, is very unusual and not as straightforward as one would believe.

We are so grateful that you have taken the trouble to get in touch, and therefore would be happy too pool all our stories (yours and ours)

Please do feel free to get in touch.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Lorraine & Denise
denise_royce@hotmail.com
Deeneesee
New User
New User

Postby Donald Isler » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:44 am

Thank you for your kind words. I don't what else to tell you about Muriel and Ellen. I only met them about 20 years ago when Ellen's sister, who lived here in New York and was like a favorite aunt to me, suggested I call them while I was in England. It was lucky that the connection was made then because Margot, Ellen's sister here, died suddenly just half a year later. After that I always visited Muriel and Ellen when I came to England. Among other things I was impressed at how many friends they had, and that young people liked to visit them, too. They had neighbors they were close to, and the neighbors' children, then teenagers, or young adults, would come for long visits with them. Young people don't usually pay several hour visits to a couple of old ladies unless they find them interesting conversationalists, which they were. If I was staying in London and took the train to see them for the day I'd spend the day there from lunchtime till early evening, and only worry if I was staying till they were too tired. I wasn't ever in a rush to leave because I was bored!

Best wishes,
Donald
Donald Isler
New User
New User

Postby Raine » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Apologies. It's been sometime. Firstly, thank you Donald for telling us about your part in Myriam's life. I am the other sister who is searching for our family's past. I believe you are the classical pianist and teacher of that name, if so your life sounds very creative and I trust rewarding. The one person we have not been able to contact is Hugh our cousin, Myriam's son, who would know about his mother, her younger sister and brother (our father) and their once happy then tragic childhood. We have quite a lot of information, not all correct, it's the missing chunks that would join up and make sense of it all. I recall two visits from Myriam when I was about 6yrs and then aged 10, when I had a day out with her in London, that's 57yrs ago!! Crucially we have some information we need to pass on to Hugh and hope that he or one of his children gets in touch. with all best wishes, Raine
Raine
New User
New User

Postby Donald Isler » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:37 pm

Just now I came upon these recent messages. Yes, I'm a pianist. Years ago I played two concerts in Walton, which came about through Ellen and Muriel (Miryam). I'm afraid I have no knowledge about Hugh Simmons' whereabouts except that he lives in Australia. I have never met him.

Best wishes,
Donald
Donald Isler
New User
New User

Postby aabryce@hotmail.com » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:44 am

Mrs. Simmons (as we knew her) taught me. As I look back on St. Martin's School...and indeed on Charterhouse which I attended later...she was one of the kindest and most-loved teachers in my educational career. I remember only too well the day that I realized, because I was short-sighted, I could no longer read her writing on the blackboard. I suppose I must have been 8 or 9 years old. I burst into tears and I have never forgotten how understanding and comforting she was. Her relationship with Miss Oberlander always was a mystery to me. Oberlander, I am sorry to say, was an ill-tempered stick of a woman to us boys. She was also a poor educator. She once maliciously awarded me three "minuses" for an offence I did not commit! As a result I was beaten by the headmaster. I have had a rebellious nature ever since! Don't let anyone ever speak kindly of Oberlander because she has passed away. She was a horrible person.

To end on a good note. When I was in my fifties, I was back home visiting old friends in Walton (I now live in America). I was having a drink with my old friend David Pierson and on a whim, we decided to go visit our old teacher Mrs. Simmons in Westcar Lane. When she opened the door, she gazed for a moment at these two post-middle aged men, whom she had not scene for forty five years and announced without further comment: "Alan Bryce and David Pierson". Now THAT'S some teacher. She was one of the very best.
aabryce@hotmail.com
New User
New User

Return to People search