Elmbridge Shed - 'Are you a shedder?'

National/Global discussions etc

Moderator: moderator

Elmbridge Shed - 'Are you a shedder?'

Postby Palaeontology » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:15 pm

If you have a shed - what do you do in it, or if you don’t have a shed - what would you like to do in one?

‘Men’s Sheds’ is a charity initiative started in Australia to provide men with time on their hands to practice or learn crafts that could benefit the community and provide social networking. Sheds have now been set up across the UK in the last few years and are going from strength to strength.

Having seen an article on BBC Breakfast just before last Christmas, I investigated whether a ‘Shed’ for Elmbridge would be feasible. Since then there has been an awareness campaign of press articles and radio interviews. Donations of tools and equipment are rolling in. There is the possibility that a venue in part of Grade II listed Byfleet Fire Station might be made available by Surrey County Council as a base.

If you are interested in learning about ‘shedding’ then contact me on 020-8224-2061 or email elmbridgeshed@gmail.com. I am particularly looking for ‘shedders’ who are craftsmen or have an expertise that could be used and people who might have tools or equipment that they would like to donate.

Shed your inhibitions, get those hands and ‘little grey cells’ going and become an Elmbridge ‘shedder’.

Dick Moore
Palaeontology

Re: Elmbridge Shed - 'Are you a shedder?'

Postby sewell01 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:31 am

Just found this in the visitors book, so moved it here for more to see...
sewell01
Walton-on-Thames.org Senior Contributor

Postby Christine E » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:16 pm

Hi Dick,

I'm the Cabinet Member for Elmbridge Council covering this and we are looking at starting an Elmbridge Shed initiative, in fact I was discussing this just yesterday with my lead officer at the Council.

I will forward your details to our Officers and we will be in touch.

Many thanks,

Christine Elmer

Cllr Walton South ward
Cabinet Member for Social Affairs
Elmbridge Borough Council
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Postby Christine E » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:35 pm

Dear Dick,

As promised some more info on where the Council are with this initiative.

'Elmbridge Borough Council Officers, who are responsible for the delivery of services for older people, work closely with colleagues from other Boroughs and Districts across Surrey. As we understand it, currently across Surrey, two Men in Sheds projects have been developed, one in Tandridge and one in Guildford. In Elmbridge we are planning a Men in Sheds project for 2015, recognising the benefits identified by Dick Moore under the article “Elmbridge Shed – are you a shedder!” Our plans are to develop a shed at our Thames Ditton Centre for the Community. Gerry Corr, our Thames Ditton Centre Manager, will be taking this project forward. There is a planned visit to Tandridge in January to share their experience.'

Dick, if you would consider working with us and perhaps taking over the lead on our initiative we would be delighted to talk further. I do note that you have highlighted that there is a possibility of a venue at the Byfleet fire station. Obviously from an Elmbridge perspective we were focused on developing an initiative within the Borough. We have also recognised that for some older men who equally have caring responsibilities it is important to have a link with our Centres for the Community so that potentially additional support could be provided plus, if necessary, links with transport service. These were all seen to be key components in ensuring that we could reach interested older men across the Borough.

Melanie Bussicott, Head of Community Support Services at Elmbridge Borough Council, had initially identified this as one of the projects that the team would be taking forward next year. It would be great if there was the opportunity to see if we could work together on the Men in Sheds project. If you are happy to be involved that would be great. I will send this to you at the email you gave.

Christine Elmer
Cabinet Member for Social Affairs
Christine E
Community Representative
Community Representative

Postby Little Miss Naughty » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:55 am

Is this just for Men? I quite fancy this myself. Being a lone woman at home, I have a drill, jig saw, electric sander and several other tools, for putting up shelves etc, but never had any training whatsoever....My first time drilling into the wall, several years ago, ended in a power cut as I damaged an electrical cable. Learned the hard way that I need an electrical wire detector, which I now have. Would much rather learn things an easier way than this, and would welcome some instruction for future projects. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dont judge a book by it's cover!
Little Miss Naughty

Postby Palaeontology » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Little Miss Naughty,

Unfortunately the Elmbridge Shed will be operated under the R&Rs of the UK Mens Sheds Association. Let us get it up and running then we can see what we can do for you.

The other community project I am working on is the Cool Activity Zone (Walton) within which we are hoping to offer DIY advice and tuition for anyone in the community. Details of CAZ can be found in the WS Forum.

If you would care to send your email contact details to coolactivityzone@gmail.com then I will put you on our mailing list.

Dick Moore
CAZ & Elmbridge Shed Founder :D
Palaeontology

Postby Jonblue » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:59 pm

I guess the humble shed is one of the last bastions of privacy for us blokes. Long may it continue... :wink:
Jonblue

Postby Little Miss Naughty » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:21 pm

Palaeontology wrote:Hi Little Miss Naughty,

Unfortunately the Elmbridge Shed will be operated under the R&Rs of the UK Mens Sheds Association. Let us get it up and running then we can see what we can do for you.

The other community project I am working on is the Cool Activity Zone (Walton) within which we are hoping to offer DIY advice and tuition for anyone in the community. Details of CAZ can be found in the WS Forum.

If you would care to send your email contact details to coolactivityzone@gmail.com then I will put you on our mailing list.

Dick Moore
CAZ & Elmbridge Shed Founder :D

Im on it........tyvvvvvm :lol:
Little Miss Naughty

Postby sewell01 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:24 am

Sexist sheds ? :shock:
sewell01

Postby Little Miss Naughty » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:34 am

sewell01 wrote:Sexist sheds ? :shock:

I could always dress up as a man, and go there undercover! Would I get away with it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Little Miss Naughty

Postby Palaeontology » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:21 am

Don't shoot the pianist he's only doing his best!

If you think that the term Men's Sheds does not accurately represent the gender correctly then might I suggest you take it up with the UK Mens Sheds Association.

I have told Little Miss Naughty that when the Cool Activity Zone (Walton) is up and running, her DIY skill needs will be met.
Palaeontology

Postby Little Miss Naughty » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:43 am

I am totally cool with it!!!! I didn't say "SEXIST"......I dont think ne 1 really thinks that! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Little Miss Naughty

Postby magnolia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:11 am

Little Miss Naughty wrote:I am totally cool with it!!!! I didn't say "SEXIST"......I dont think ne 1 really thinks that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[sic]

Wrong.

In fact, I am curious to know what exemption from the sex discrimination legislation the movement claims.
magnolia

Postby magnolia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:55 am

magnolia wrote:
Little Miss Naughty wrote:I am totally cool with it!!!! I didn't say "SEXIST"......I dont think ne 1 really thinks that! :lol: :lol: :lol:

[sic]

Wrong.

In fact, I am curious to know what exemption from the sex discrimination legislation the movement claims.

Answer:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -clubs.pdf
magnolia

Postby TheSuperOne » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:21 pm

I would like a large shed, with a 70" super hd to, sky sports, Bose surround speakers and a fridge full of German beer, served cold by Page 3 models .
I big ask, but I remain hopeful to have it shipped to my house before Xmas day .
I thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheSuperOne
Veteran Contributor Level 2
Veteran Contributor Level 2

Next

Return to General discussion